Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone work a fly rod on the flats of the sound? Seems like a pretty prime place to wade out and work some shallow water on the backside of hatteras or ocracoke. i've plugged these areas for hours at a time with good luck but i cant say i've ever even see anyone out there with a fly rod in hand.

My christmas present to self this year was a 9' 9 weight rod, reel, 9wt WF floating line, a bunch of tapered leaders 12,16lb and some with a short wire bite section for the blues and about a hundred SW flies #6-1/0 in shrimp, crab and baitfish patterns.

can't seem to see anyone talking much on this other than some guide service a little further north, either way in may i'm going to give it hell and see what happens.

thanks,
chris

·
Registered
752 Posts
A friend of mine used to walk the beach with his fly rod looking for troughs, backwashes, etc., he caught a nice over slot redfish one day with a wet fly, the fly was white, he said it should appear like a finger mullet to the fish, this was in the fall years back, good luck.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have fished Topsail area with my 9wt. I do better with a sinking line than I do with a floating line. The current with the changing tides can really rid the closer you are to the inlets. The sinking line gets down quicker than just a weighted fly. I like large Clourser patterns in white / green , white /purple, around 4 to 6 inches.Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Between clouser and deceiver I have about a dozen. All 1/0 probably slightly over 3" in length. Maybe I'll pick up an extra spool with a sinking or itermediate line for the faster water.

Thanks to all that have replied

How about a gear pic thread in order to maybe get stickied? As a tackle whore I'd like to see what others are swinging.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
chris - rather than a spare spool with a sinking line you should look into airflo polyleaders, I use a 10ft saltwater polyleader with a sink rate of about 5"/sec, you can pick this up for about $10 and just loop it on to the end of your WF floating line to turn your line into a sinking line (like adding a sink tip). Just add several feet of 15-30lb fluoro to the end of the polyleader and tie on your streamer. this allows you to get your fly down quickly, and also allows you the convenience of just taking off the polyleader and fishing with a floating line if you wanted to do a popper-dropper set up on the flats for reds/trout.

I have not fished that far south but have waded Oregon inlet (N side more well known, but S end possible as well) and also the channel behind the bodie lighthouse, these are well known wet wading spots for fly rodders. bring your 100% deet!!

for xmas this year I picked up a sage 2280 for my saltwater 8 weight, "budget" reel from sage (entry model) but that thing is nice....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.