Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used flourocarbon for saltwater? If so, what are its advantages/ disadvantages? How does it hold up? Thanks

D

·
0 Posts
I'm betting that if you search for it on this site you'll find plenty of oppinions.

Here's mine...

It hard, expensive and stealthy. I use Seaguar flourocarbon for leader and tippet material while I flyfish in the salt. It is really strong with respect to it's diameter, has a refractive index close to water so basically it's invisible, and is excellent to use in clear conditions or when you need a strong material with a really small diameter...as in tippets. Some people rave about it...but I swear I have lost more fish and flies on it than mono. It does not seem to hold a knot as well as mono and, because of it's strength to diameter ratio it will cut through other material it's tied to...as in leaders.

All in all, I think it may be more appropriate for fish with very good eyesight...blues, specks, albies but not really for bass or reds. These fish are brawlers and I think you'll benefit more from mono's stretch ability.

And seriously...I swear that stuff breaks under shock stress way more than mono.

I think the tackle shops like to promote it because it's "invisible" and it's expensive. But I don't think it lives up to it's expectations day in and day out.

Somebody did a post back in January I think about loading spinning reels with it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It's pretty funny what I did. I put 14 lb. test basically invisible flourocarbon on a spinning reel and then decided that it wasn't strong enough so I went out and got some six dollar (as opposed to twelve dollar flouro) 20 lb. test solar green mono which is basically completely opposite. LOL

·
Registered
164 Posts
Two seasons ago I bought some Momai HiCatch Florocarbon line for tuna fishing. Used it ONE day - cost me two nice YF tuna. In both cases the florocarbon broke at the hook eye. Yes, they were good knots.

I concluded that the floro leader is way too brittle for my likes. If the floro does in fact work and causes more fish to bite, I would rather put up with LESS bites but no leader breakoffs using plain mono.

I may use the floro again for jigging spanish, fishing for flounder - but not for tackling heavy weight fish.

Lou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts