Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't aware that we were going to have a 6 week spring flounder season beginning March 1st, well no matter, it's been cancelled, seems we the recreational fishermen exceeded the Total Allowable Catch quota by 25,000 pounds during the 2022 fall flounder season. What a nice round figure they determined, they are so full of *hit, hell the nets boats probably killed that much in their first two weeks! No dates for the 2023 Fall flounder fishing, if they give us one?,...pop.

· Registered
886 Posts
From my experience here on Hatteras, there is no possible way we exceeded the limits ... I love Flounder fishing and the whole flounder season was messed up with rough surf and winds .... Their way of determining what recs catch is totally flawed ... If they determine catch amounts by the Marine fisheries person that counts your fish/ looks in your cooler .... I haven't seen one in a year and I'm on the surf about everyday .... it's all about $$$, a Flounders worth on the market is the problem $$$

· Registered
471 Posts
I saw that a few days ago and started to post it but honestly it pissed me off so bad I just thought the hell with it. I knew there was a reason I am spending early-mid May in Florida chasing pomps this spring. Mid October last fall I caught a BIG flounder. Hooked him deep.........he washed back up 3 times. Then.....

· Registered
471 Posts
My coolers hasn’t been checked on Hatteras since 2007.
All this crap in NC is way way out of control. No regulation is enforced except what they can ram down the sportsman's throat....Just a guess. 30 years since I have been checked. Deer hunted my entire life.......checked ONCE. Small game like rabbits or when there USED to be grouse when I hunted dogs...NOT ONCE in my life.

· Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love flounder fishing at the New River inlet, I'm targeting them, one rod spiked with a large live finger mullet dropped right over the lip, one smaller rod with a Carolina type rig and smaller live finger mullet casting up stream and drifting back waiting for it to stop, cast after cast. In 30 years I've probably killed a dozen flounder total that's it. Since the net boats don't drop their nets coming in the inlet and the seasons being shortened, maybe that doormat will finally find my bait, whether I can keep him or not, they can't take the enjoyment away,...pop.

· Registered
33 Posts
I saw that a few days ago and started to post it but honestly it pissed me off so bad I just thought the hell with it. I knew there was a reason I am spending early-mid May in Florida chasing pomps this spring. Mid October last fall I caught a BIG flounder. Hooked him deep.........he washed back up 3 times. Then.....
You should hang with me and chase big pomps on fla panhandle and Ala. I'll be there all April though mid May. Catching on jigs here in SW Fla but prefer long rods on the beach. Love to have some company. I'm 66 and retired.

· Registered
70 Posts
Tell me more about the fishing in Fla and the best time of year.
I have fished in October in Hatteras for many years, but it has gotten so catching a half dozen 11 inch blues in a week is all you get. Hopefully others are doing better.

· Registered
33 Posts
Water Temps are biggest key. 66 is alittle cool but 68 to 70 is best. Pomps are moving at those Temps. Spring is northern gulf, April to early may. Fall is east coast as Temps start to drop, unless Hurricanes in NC push them down earlier. Winter is Daytona south on east coast. All depends on water temps.

· Registered
471 Posts
You should hang with me and chase big pomps on fla panhandle and Ala. I'll be there all April though mid May. Catching on jigs here in SW Fla but prefer long rods on the beach. Love to have some company. I'm 66 and retired.
Love to do that but the trip is planned. Hitting a skeet tourney for a few days in Savannah then going few miles south of St Augustine. I hope I hit them. As you say the water temp means everything.
I am 66 as well and retired.........

· Registered
50 Posts
I wasn't aware that we were going to have a 6 week spring flounder season beginning March 1st, well no matter, it's been cancelled, seems we the recreational fishermen exceeded the Total Allowable Catch quota by 25,000 pounds during the 2022 fall flounder season. What a nice round figure they determined, they are so full of *hit, hell the nets boats probably killed that much in their first two weeks! No dates for the 2023 Fall flounder fishing, if they give us one?,...pop.
Like you stated , on the ocean side commercial fishermen are allowed to harvest 3 million pounds of flounder this spring . That's a lot of flounder. Nothing for rec. fishermen even though they buy NC fishing license , bait , tackle ,etc. I did hear something interesting and I think it may be true . As you know NC prides itsself on supplying fresh NC sea food to vacationers and others . This is especially true of flounder . When a family comes to NC coast they usually go to a sea food restaurant and spend maybe $ 100.00 or more . A couple of flounder will feed the family along with lots of sides that is . Mgt. , help, and servers make a lot of money off of these couple of fish . If a rec/ sport fisherman comes down and catches a couple of fish , what does he do ? Takes flounder back to his cottage , goes to Food lion and buys hush puppy mix along with other sides and has a great supper for less than a third of what it would cost at a restaurant . The Chamber of Commerce is well aware of this and since there is a shortage of flounder they want these fish to go where they get the most bang for the buck. NC Marine Fisheries along with the Chamber of Commerce has no intention of letting sport fishermen take flouner in NC waters .It is a big club and we ain't in it .

· Registered
471 Posts
Like you stated , on the ocean side commercial fishermen are allowed to harvest 3 million pounds of flounder this spring . That's a lot of flounder. Nothing for rec. fishermen even though they buy NC fishing license , bait , tackle ,etc. I did hear something interesting and I think it may be true . As you know NC prides itsself on supplying fresh NC sea food to vacationers and others . This is especially true of flounder . When a family comes to NC coast they usually go to a sea food restaurant and spend maybe $ 100.00 or more . A couple of flounder will feed the family along with lots of sides that is . Mgt. , help, and servers make a lot of money off of these couple of fish . If a rec/ sport fisherman comes down and catches a couple of fish , what does he do ? Takes flounder back to his cottage , goes to Food lion and buys hush puppy mix along with other sides and has a great supper for less than a third of what it would cost at a restaurant . The Chamber of Commerce is well aware of this and since there is a shortage of flounder they want these fish to go where they get the most bang for the buck. NC Marine Fisheries along with the Chamber of Commerce has no intention of letting sport fishermen take flouner in NC waters .It is a big club and we ain't in it .
That is why my fat butt will be in Florida this spring. Undecided on the Fall trip. May just go on down to the Keys. At one time I lived to catch a big red..........those days are over. I'll take a big pomp any day..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts