Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, transplant from NJ to Beaufort SC. If you catch flounder, which is what I’m looking for. Mind if I ask, how do you target them? Jig head with a gulp? Drift with a flounder rig? Slow troll.......I just can’t seem to dial in the correct approach for flatties down here. In NJ I trolled with a trolling motor into the current with a rig I made up. Down here, that doesn’t seem to be the ticket. I used to murder them in Avalon and Stone Harbor. A three foot leader, white jig on a dropper loop back one ft, and a bare hook with a mud minnow trailing behind. Early it was all minnows, and as the season went on the jig would catch better. Had more fish and bigger fish this way than anyone else. Of course this was only back water, not ocean. Best depth, 3 ft to 20 ft, with 6-23 ft range very productive. Too deep and it didn’t work, too shallow and you spooked them with trolling motor. Place 4 rods in Scotty rod holders parallel to water surface so the rod is level, not upright. I also made different size trolling weights fron 1/4 Oz to 1 Oz depending on current flow.
does the bite down here get better, do the flounder group up, and does fall with cooling water have an influence on the bite. Best place I found for them so far is Fripp inlet. Close to ocean and cleaner water. I hope I find them here. Of course everyone says the same thing to me when I ask..........We don’t fish for them, we just gig em. I haven’t found one guy who fished for them, ever.
I’ll take a picture of the rig I made and post it. I also worked casting it with a spinning rod, and slow retrieve. Thanks, alex

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

First thing you need, Scotty rod holders. In my opinion, trolling rods must be level...parallel with water surface. You don’t want to use gunnel rod holders which hold rod upright.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I make up a variety of trolling sinkers, up to about 1 Oz. Switch them out depending on current flow. You don’t want to drag bottom, you want to bounce it a bit, while maintaining a contact. Flounder are looking up. If all you catch are empty shells, you’re too heavy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A bare hook for the minnow, at the end of the rig. I like a mud minnow on here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A 3’ leader, drop loop to a white jig, and you can see the bare hook to the left at the end. This jig gets a gulp. Personally I like a 4” swimming mullet in white. In jersey as the season went on, fish switch to this over the minnow. With this set up, I caught more backwater keepers than anyone else, and for the most part the keepers were always over 21”. Some days you couldn’t fish 4 rods. You couldn’t get them out before two of them had a flounder attached. A good day, with the tide right.....75 fish in a couple hours was the norm. Many at 16” In New Jersey they had to be 18” to keep, which is a much different fish than a 16”. At 18” they are almost all females, much fatter, and not just 2” bigger. They were twice the size. You knew a keeper on hookup, as many simply went 21”+.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts