Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some pointers for surf fishing for flounder (if any are still around). I have watched others and fished for flounder from a pier, but never targeted them from the surf. Anybody got any suggestions on bait, rigs or technique would be a great help. Me and Fishinmedic will be down there for about 4 days and I would like to set-up one rod for flounder. Any advice would be great!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Dave, They,ll be there. I use ff rig or flounder rigs right behind the waves or in the waves. Look for shell beds and sand fleas They will be there. In may there was a spot just in front of the cabins at the north entrance that seem to produce best, hard to get many legal size though. Make sure to use circle hooks, I have had under size flounder swallow 9/0 hooks on ff rigs.
Bait, about anything works, cut mullet,whole finger mullet,shrimp, sand fleas, and mud minnows.
Cast behind the waves or in a hole or any structure you can find and slowly drag your bait back in. You'll find them.

Good luck, and look us up out there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If the surf is not too rough, I like to use a carolina rig with a live finger mullet. I cast out about 30-40 yards and very slowly work the bait in by pulling the bait in a few feet at a time and letting it sit for a minute or so as I reel in the slack. Flounder will sometimes hit it just when you stop it to reel in the slack. You may feel a light thump or just a little extra weight at the end of the line. The key is to give the flounder a couple of minutes to get the whole bait in it's mouth before setting the hook. I catch most of my flounder about 20 feet from the shore in shallow water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts