Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Kozlow has all the fancy spinners and stuff but you don't need all that to catch flounder. for inshore and pier fishing slide a 1-1.5 oz egg sinker on you running line and tie to a barrel swivel. To the other end of the swivel attach 6-18in of 15-30 lb leader and tie on a #1 Kahle hook. Leader size is based on personal preference and what everyone else is using. Sometimes they want a short leader and sometimes a long one. My dad and I use this rig to good success. If your surf fishing you might want a heavier weight, never done it so don't know.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Nice "stuff" Koz......

But you gotta remember, he's "poor", "dumb", and I guess that's why he lives so far from the Ocean ??? Just kidding gmm3jkr ;)

I like doing the fancy/flashy stuff myself, but normally setup pretty much like bluerunner. "Do" put a bead between the sinker and the swivel, it'll save your knot. You can buy the Kahle hooks (which is all I use) already snelled with beads and a spinner. I much prefer these, and at least for me, triple the bite. Also think the bucktail is a plus, especially when the minnows are running smaller, gives more action, and a larger profile. You can use the collars if you tie your own, or in my case, I just add it to the snelled rig. From the swivel to the hook, I like about 12"

Happy Fluking.............

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Yeah forgot about the bead. For bait we use mostly finger mullet and mud minnows or live shrimp. Be careful if not to keep mud minnows and shrimp in the same bucket though, cause the mud minnows are really bad about eating the shrimp.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Flounder rig,

Apologies to you Kozlow, thought you were pulling the mans leg...Am not familiar with using all the bells and whistles for flounder, then I fish mostly 99% in NJ so..open mouth insert foot....again...apologies....salt

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
info collected

thanks too all and I hope to caych something. With all this if I don't it my fault lol. by the way yes this is way I live so far from the ocean too dumb to know it's cheaper to live there than too just visit lmao thanks again.

P.S. Koz where u fishing looks like I'll need to borrow some of your stuff or at least get you too teach me how and what you used to put yours together. lol keep them lines tight

·
Registered
46 Posts
simple is good! / circle hooks?

I agree with bluerunner that it doesn't take all the beads and spinners and feathers and krystalflash but haven't used those rigs much. A trolling sinker works too, 1, 1-1/2,or 2oz, whatever you need considereing current and waves. I have had best luck with long leaders, at least 18" up to about 30"--gives that wild waving action. I just read that using game fish as bait is generally against the law now but used to use flounder belly with great success. I have used kahle hooks but a long shank O'shaunesy will work too.

Have any of you tried circle hooks?

John :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.