Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tide Rite Flounder rig that I picked up at some fishing store in Norfolk and I was wondering how it is supposed to used. It has a three way swivel attach and am confused on whether I need to either put a weight on it or a bucktail. Im not quite sure its its supposed to be used as a bottom rig or if it should be used for jigging.

Please help!!

I attached a picture to give an idea

Fish

·
Registered
22 Posts
Never bought a rig for flounder I find it easier to make my own but I'd imagine you would us a sinker on a short lead and drift with it. If you want some ideas and tips on flounder fishing and rigs I suggest you look up John Skinner. He's got a bunch of how to videos on youtube and the man seriously knows his @#!&. I myself have had a lot of luck with his style of rig using a bucktail and teaser. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
948 Posts
You actually seem to have the right idea either way. A sinker could be added to the clip, or you can add a bucktail on a leader & jig it off the bottom. The dressed hook & spinner is part of the attraction, but adding the bucktail instead of a sinker improves your chances. Are you fishing from shore or from a boat? From shore, if fishing over a bottom with lots of snags, like oyster shells you might want to go with the sinker. That way if it does snag, you lose a sinker & not a bucktail. I usually attach a sinker with a short length of mono usually about 6", that acts as the weak link for that purpose. Use mono that's lighter than the rest of the rig & your main line, but heavy enough you're not breaking off every time it snags. From a boat, jigging a bucktail as the weight on a rig like that is a good method, particularly if drifting. You might also want to add a bit of bait to that dressed hook. A thin pork strip works, but then so does a thin strip of fish belly. If you add any other bait, try not to put it on in a gob. That tends to make it spin which may twist the leader which weakens it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! I have been experimenting with building my own rigs and have had success catching fish. Not the targeted flounder like I want but none the less fish. Everything loves to eat the gulps tails off when i am out fishing. I usually go to the the pier on base when the wife lets me get out lol. So most of my fishing is done from the pier and i think i have had some hooks ups with flounder but when i did i didnt know there was a method of hooking them. I have done alot of research for flounder and have looked at many of John Skinners videos he has on his youtube. I have some frozen blue fish in my freezer that i have salted that i plan on using the next tim i go out.

OD

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not a problem man. The thing I like about John's method is it allows you to set the hook as soon as you feel the weight of the fish. Were as when you soak bait or have a live minnow they say your supposed to give it a while for the fish to eat. I haven't got the hang of that yet so I go with what works for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts