Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here is my question. When is the best time to flounder fish? Day or night? I already know it is day but does anybody catch em at night? Just wanted some more comments on it.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Seems to me......

The best time to go fluking is when you're in NC....

Inlets/rivers/sound.....13" "NO Limit" (not that I agree with this)

Ocean......15.5" Eight per day

Lot of work to go Flounder fishing around here, plus the $$$, and rarely come home with fish for the table. Seems we could do something to the effect of 2 fish at 16, and the rest be 17.5. I don't know, but it sure is frustrating going from the old 15" size limit, to 17.5. Enough that since it was my primary fishing, just sold my boat after the limits went up. Could'nt rationalize the cost to the catch anymore. Just have to target other species for the most part now.

To answer your question, IMO Daytime for sure, although I won't say I "never" caught one at nite, but night time is more condusive to gigging.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Flounder is a "sight" feeder, just like a Bluefish or a Spanish Mac.

I won't say you'll "never" catch one at night, but the chances are slim.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Smoothbore54 is correct - the summer flounder is a sight feeder and best fishing is during the day. I have only seen one fluke caught at night, and that was a 17 incher that hit a mackeral chunk in a chum slick in late October. The 17 incher managed to inhale a 7/0 chum hook with a wire leader. That was one hungry fluke....

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
In years past, I have caught flounder at the PLO fishing pier at both day and night. I generally have the best luck at dusk and dawn but have caught some nice ones at night. My dad caught a 19 1/2 incher at seagull at night, biggest ever seen caught at night. I also had one on a live spot that was over 5 lbs that I lost on the surface at night. I think that more people target them during the day rather than at night so more are caught during the day. Hopefully they will be around during our charter on Thursday.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Anthony's right, its just that more people target them during the day. Flounder will bite at night, I have caught and seen several caught at night off the pier, its just that people usually only target them during the day. Piers and lighted docks are the best places because the lights attract baitfish and thus gamefish like flounder. Also, just because an animal is a sight junter does not mean it will not hunt at night. The moon provides more than enough light for fish, whose eyes are generally a lot more sensitive than ours. Research has shown that king makerel actually feed more heavily at night, especially during the full moon. Its just that you get into so many sharks too after dark that most people quit fishing at dusk.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
This year I have 4 keepers all at night. Not a good year for me. I have caught a good number during the day but all were shorts. Maybe today or tomorrow. Who Knows. This year I went to the lesner and did land the smallest flounder I have ever caught, it did not make the width of my hand and swallowed the hook to boot.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i have my best luck at night fishing under a bridge with lights, I dont even bother going during the day, all fish are too small and too many people

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've seen 2 fluke caught at night.

May 2002 I ran a striper trip out of Atlantic Highlands (on the Mi-Jo), We were chunking with clams and one of the guys landed a keeper at about 11PM. Not sure but I think he got the fluke fairly close to the boat so the lights probably had a lot to do with it.

This past Memorial day weekend my son landed a short at about 9:30-10:00 on a mackerel strip. We were fishing Hereford Inlet, again it was very well lit and the water was very clear so I'm sure the street lights had a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody. A lot of good information. So they can be caught at night. Will have to try it soon. If I really want to get into some flounder I guess I better start fishing with Jake Ace!!:D Tight Lines

·
Registered
193 Posts
Raised gigging them at night, or as low country folks say go striking for them. Sept. here starts the prime season here. Biggest last year was 5 oz. shy of 13lbs. Saw a 19lb'er caught 2 years ago in a pound net at the fish house. But if fishing for them mud minnows on a floundr rig is the way to go here. Small finger mullet work well, also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.