Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
gigging flounder just seems to easy .
You wrote "seems too easy". Does that mean you never been gigging? I've wade gigged several times. I've stuck three. Very easy to tell if you're looking at a good fish 18" or better. If true that males rarely reach the minimum length of 15", then it seems to me we're allowed to keep mostly females. Not a marine biologists. Fake news?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Flounder gig'n is a blast, did it a lot as a kid living near Camp Lejeune and you're right that won't wipe out the species.

Another large culprit is "large" mesh gill nets in inland waters. They catch everything and most don't live to be set free especially the crabs that get smashed with mallets rather than trying to free them from the net.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Flounder gig'n is a blast, did it a lot as a kid living near Camp Lejeune and you're right that won't wipe out the species.

Another large culprit is "large" mesh gill nets in inland waters. They catch everything and most don't live to be set free especially the crabs that get smashed with mallets rather than trying to free them from the net.
I've been gigging in Courthouse Bay numerous times....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't been in about 10 years but I have in the past. When I see what has happened to the fishing on our coast for sportsmen in general its just sad. We are to the point that changes have to be made and getting at each other will accomplish little. Our state government has been irresponsible in so many ways. Its time to clean the whole mess up and some people are going to get hurt financially. But its got to be done.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Pops a retired USMC pilot so we were always on the other side of the river. We did have a boat with a light yoke that lit up both sides.

Good memories of great times and would love to do it again !!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Anyone hear if the NC DMF had their meeting yet and decision on the flounder fishing, other new regs?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
21 - 30 of 30 Posts