Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from Sebastian Inlet. Was there for 5 days. Wednesday and Thursday some doormats were caught right off the shore. Kozlow, you were right. The spot 50 yards from the Catwalk is a hot spot. This would be right front of the State Park Office for entrance. The L pier on the right side is also a hot spot.

My biggest problem was finding the right bait and then keeping them alive. I'll definitely bring a cast net, livewell and aerator next time. Also, I would use lighter line (12 lbs. with a 20 lb. leader both probably ultra thin) and skinny size 1, 2 or even a 4 kahle hook. The larger hooks will wear out the bait sooner and the presentation would not be as natural as on a smaller hook. I think the key is having a lively bait and keeping them lively. Our saltwater minnows we have in Va. would have been perfect. It appeared that the people with small finger mullets had the greatest success.

I observed very carefully and there was no doubt the smaller finger mullets caught 90% of the keeper flounders I saw being caught. These guys caught the smaller finger mullets in the river and they would not share or sell their bait which is fine by me. They were prepared and knew what they were doing. This is cool.

I say one guy catch 5 nice flounders in less than an hour on about every single cast. He had the small finger mullets with a small skinny hook. There were 4 other fishermen in the same general area with bigger finger mullets and they caught 1 keeper combined.

All in all I had a great time. Sebastian is truly a remarkable place for the true fishermen. Thanks Owen from Orlando for sharing your baits with all the visitors. Thanks Jimmy from Connecticut who I've fished with for 2 straight years. You are cool and a true fishermen. Hope to see you next year.

The fishing should be spectacular next week with another cold front today. The weak one that came through Monday really triggered the fish. I'll be ready next year and will be making my reservations tomorrow for both Thanksgiving week and the week after.

Thanks Kozlow for all the info.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Thanks for the report from your trip to the Inlet ccc6588. The cold front thats coming through tonight will change the fishing stratege here . And the Inlet should be a Flounder Pounder Paridise .:cool: Sounds like you had a great time and stay warm up there . Its a bit nippy here right now had to close the windows and get a heavier blanket from the closet .:D 50 degrees at 3 AM and a nasty windchill making it fell like 43 °F out there NNW at 22 mph. Its gotta a be a bit colder up the northern part of the state . At least no rain .:p
Take Care and hopefully see ya next year .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts