Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I usually go down to west palm beach, Flordida and fish their every summer. I Have never been down in the winter and was wondering what kind of fish they catch off the pier there around december? Is the fishing fun, exciting? Is it worth it and a lot of action?

thx, ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody know?? I'm really looking forward to going down to florida but don't no what kind of different fish will be down there, anybody.....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kozlow, that was a lot of help.....one more question

Will sharks be around during the winter in florida around the southeast/centrel area? I'm really in to shark fishing also

;) ron

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Kozlow. The information was and is going to be very helpful. In that article they did say something about using smaller leaders. For my BIG 80lb rod i have about 7feet of 350lb wire on it. I know most people would say that is really big but i only intend to catch big sharks on it. At the end is a 9/0 circle, which is baited with a live blue runner or barracuda, mackeral, or bonito chunk. Is that setup to big even for big sharks? People at the pier said it was fine, but sharks don't care about it b/c they aren't leader shy, right? I do have smaller poles which i use for other smaller sharks, snook, barracuda, and other big fish. So, should i downsize on the leader a little bit or will it be fine? THe baits that i do use on that setup are big and live. I think it should be fine but am just trying to get a second opinion on how that setup is for big sharks off the pier.

Thanks again, ~ron

P.S I do have plenty of line on my reel and a big reel also, so that won't be a problem.:D

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
4 to 7 ft min. Is what you gotta use . Their skin and teeth are the things you have to watch out for . The hook size I use is just 1 or 2 sizes smaller .
Good Luck Live_Bait

1 - 7 of 7 Posts