Pier and Surf Forum banner

Floats or no floats on bottom rigs?

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  voodoobunny 
#1 ·
When fishing for pompano or even sea mullet do y'all prefer floats on your rigs or not? I've always fished without floats but I see them more and more it seems. Do y'all think they make a difference?

#3 ·
They are even popular down in Florida though, which typically has more clear water. My train of that was that pompano and mullet are bottom feeders. Why use something that lifts it off the bottom? But they obviously work to some extent or people wouldn't use them. Just an interesting debate to me.

#5 ·
I agree with retired, it's something that you have to try & see. Floats for bait rigs can serve different purposes, but also can simply be an attraction to get the bait noticed, especially with grass on the bottom. I think the trick is using an appropriately sized float for the baits your using. You want them to be big enough to keep the bait off the bottom, and somewhat suspended in the water. Too big and they can lift the bait too high (depending on your leader length) and too small and the bait might still be on the bottom. So, experiment and see if it's an advantage for you.

Remember that floats like that are also popular for various types of fishing. They're used for Striper Rigs, Salmon Mooching rigs, Walleye rigs and Catfishing. Stripers & Walleye will grab baits in the current, and the float keeps the bait off the bottom, and away from the crabs as was mentioned, and in some place snags. Even though catfish are bottom feeders, they'll find the bait with it suspended in the water near the bottom, as well most fish species that feed on or near the bottom.

BTW, you can get those foam floats in various sizes, shapes & colors. Check hagensfish.com they sell a variety of tackle & lure making components.

#15 ·
Good to hear. I actually tie my own "river rigs". I use fairly long leads on them like 1-2 foot to the hook. Would you keep them the same if using floats for pomp's or shorten them up? It seems like you wouldn't need/want the long leads with the floats up there in my mind, but I have nothibg to actually back that up haha.

#14 ·
I use floats about 99% of the time for pomps. If fishing for whiting, almost never. Yes floats help with bait thieves like crabs. More important I use floats as a attractant for pomps. Favorite color is white then lighter colors or mixed colors. Pink and white is deadly combo. BTW I often notice floats being chewed and bait untouched. Many videos of pomps grabbing floats and not eating bait. The biggest floats I use are 1gram , which is quite large, but my favorite size for big pomps. I also jig for pomps with goofy jigs, often color will make a difference , but it's the jigging action( movement) that gets bites, many grab jig as it is sinking.. IMO there's nothing worse than a pomp bait laying motionless on the bottom. Just my .02 worth. BTW killed the big pomps yesterday morning on jigs, 16 (11" fork length in fla) and a dozen short throw backs. Fished 2 and half hrs until tide change.

#21 ·
i go back and forth. i know for sure those blues hit those floats. some years they get split in half almost. i deff get less crab stealers with them. do they help. . . i don't know. this trip I have some rigs with them on and some not on. i completely did away with the bead. what is right what is wrong. i don't think either is. this is coming from a 2 week a year warrior so all i know is what i learn yearly.

i deff know the beach sand pumping isn't helping matters cause the fish I catch are decreasing by the year. maybe it's me also. prob is me.

#23 ·
Glad it isn’t just me. We r down here now in topsail. Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning was awesome. Caught the 5 largest blues I ever have in the surf. I dropped 2 large ones at my feet cause I was using too large of cut bait. I swore they were hooked but I guess not. Sucks when u see em pop off right in front of you. My kid caught me enough spots and small mullet for bait this week those days also. A 1.5 lb pomp. Then the wind started and has really roughed up the surf so I have been hanging out on sea view pier. Learned some new stuff from a local next to me. I figured no one would talk to me. There are still good folk out there. I actually like the pier. Nothing crazy caught but my 2 kids had fun on smaller mullet.
Sorry didn’t mean to get off topic. I have been using floats all week. All those blues were caught on drop loop rigs with floats and no beads with 1/0 circle hooks. Same with pomp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.