Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think he's staying till tuesday morning. Last I heard he had a few big bites but no hook-ups. Just one ling cod caught yesterday during the day.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Heck, already plan on going out there Friday, but if I had known he would have been there today, I "shore"ly would have made the ride. To get there twice in a week, I only need an excuse, oops, I mean a reason:)

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I just talked to him. Not much of a report, a few skates and sharks and that's it. I'm sure he'll have a better report for us when he wakes up.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well......

Here it is:
Started off bad with a monster $300 speeding ticket so I knew it was going to be a bad one.:mad: Got there at 9 pm on sun and only had a few bunker that Anthony gave me and that I aquired from a boater at the narrows. All bait shops closed at 4 pm and I didn't feel like fighting traffic to go back to Anglers.:mad: Started fishing about a mile after the bullpen and immediately caught a 12" ling cod on my first cast. Threw him back and was bothered with the crabs the rest of the night. In the morning the sunrise was beautiful and was hoping it would bring some fish. It was butta$$ cold through the night and spent most of it in my truck except to change bait. I had two monster hits on my 15 fter that completely unseated the pole but nothing was there when I grabbed it. Was using circle hooks too. Ran out of bait at about 9 am and headed to bucks to get some more. Got there and all they had was fresh mullet they ran out of bunker last night they said and didn't know when they would get some in. So I left and checked another place and same scenario so I went back and got some fresh mullet and headed back to AI. This time I went all the way to the VA line to try for some drum. I got to admit the water down that way is real "drummie" if you know what I mean. It was low tide and by reading the beach it actually had two sand bars. I was able to wade out to the first sandbar and cast over the second one. I got into what I think was a big school of chomper blues because within a 5 minute span all my poles were bent in half and when I got to them they went limp. I reeled them all in to see that I was cut off on ALL of them with a lot of fray all over the line. Took me a while to set them all back up and by the time I got them out there again no such luck. I was blessed with seeing about 500 dolphins schooling and moving south. They put on a little aerial display and looked like at times were feeding on bait. I left and went back to the bullpen for the incoming tide hoping to get into some stripers. I ended up fighting a bunch of clearnose skates and small blacktip sharks most of the night. I left at 3 am this morning. Sure wish I had fresh bunker b/c I think the stripers out there like that more than mullet. Plus it holds better than mullet. Was a pretty decent trip besides the ticket:rolleyes: , it was cold at night bud decent during the day. But like sandcrab says you got to put your time in on the surf before you get into them. Thats what I was doing. And like the warrior I am I fished hard, real hard but it wasn't meant to be. Plus I didn't see anybody else get anything with size either. Like shaggy said I think in the next couple weeks it should be better, hopefully. I will be trying again real soon, hopefully one of my fishing buddies will be able to join me. It gets lonely out there at night;) , but very relaxing:D Good luck this friday shaggy, like sandcrab said I think you are going to be our next Angler of the month! Tight Lines!

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Man sounds like my Hatteras trips, minus th speeding ticket.:eek: But a bad day on th beach beats any day at work. ;)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well lets put it this way at times I was going double the speed limit but got pegged at 90 in a 65. You would think I would learn but that is one thing in my blood that is hard to get rid of. SPEED! I used to race cars before I came into the military. I just haven't had my fix in a while and I end up taking it out on the highway. I need to bring my mustang up here and bring it to the strip every once in a while to soothe the urge. Too bad the track is closed for the season.:mad:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Guess it's time for you to quit smoking. Think of all the money you could save if you stopped.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
I can attest that AI can be a brutal fighting ground, and the enemy sometimes "forgets to show up", but, the way I figure, I got another twenty years in me to get my monster (heck golfed for longer than that before I got my first hole in one, so I changed my socks, just kidding). Anyhow Jas, you will have more days like the last one, maybe worse, if you're going to get that big dog I look for on AI. You just got to forget the cold, the wind (occassionally that mean nor'easter), the rain and enjoy the sunrise the sunset and the fact that as stupid as it may seem to be out in whatever weather, at least we were breathing to make the decision to suffer. Iknow they are coming, but this time of year "they" arrive just as the nice weather disappears, coincidence? Strange but true.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
AI Blues...

The ocean gives, the ocean takes...AI fishing is brutal but that is where the fish are...FL just hang in there - larger fish are on their way down South as we speak...

If any of you "Warrior" types would do a normal fishing trip (say 12 hours or less), I would join you at AI. ;)

Don't have a 4X4 but you could pick me up in the South Parking lot.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Speeding Ticket EH!

Yeah,I speed like that on my way to IRI during the summer and got caught twice.One was in Ellendale by local cop and the other before Lewes by State Boys.I was going almost 80mph down RT 1 saw the cop slowed down to 53mph,but I was in the wrong.He pulled me over and I BSed my ticket from $250 to $50.In other words I sweet talked my way into a lower fine.:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts