Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use these in the surf?, being flat and 2 sided I would think they would hold?, thanks...pop.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes, they hold well on sand. Being flat, moderate current doesn't slide or roll them. However, like any other sinker, you still have to use an appropriate weight for the conditions. I pour them and have added a "spike" to some, which is just a stout piece of wire molded in on the bottom, and lets a lighter weight hold better if the current is stronger. Same basic idea as Claw sinkers, but less wire.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
The squashed flat ones with square sides? I don't like square sides in the surf. They'll definitely work but if the current is up the best hold I've found is frog tongues unless you're willing to deal with sputniks/wire legged sinkers.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Seen flat sinkers Carolina rigged for catfishing. I don’t see why they wouldn’t work in the surf. I just use pyramids since they are easy to find.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
In surf like at the Point with moving lateral currents drag the line down the beach. The sinker is behind the line.

Sinkers do not roll, they do not flip, they are being pulled by their eyelets.

Sinkers are dragged through the sand by the current forces pulling on the fishing line. Sinkers with the largest frontal area like three sided pyramid sinkers hold best. Frog tongues have a large frontal area.

Bank sinkers with little frontal area drag easily and do not hold in current.

The more line out, the greater the drag on the sinker, which is why when someone bombs a bait out farther than you, they drift faster and over you in short order.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is great info Garboman thanks, I always thought my sinkers were rolling.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Guess it's a good time to add - line diameter and finish both effect drag in current. If you've ever used bottom rigs with braid you might have noticed it takes a bit more weight to hold. This is because it's not as smooth as the mono on the rod spiked next to it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it appears I have been wrong about everything regarding keeping my bait in place, I thought that braid being thinner would have less pull from the current, back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Well it appears I have been wrong about everything regarding keeping my bait in place, I thought that braid being thinner would have less pull from the current, back to the drawing board!
If the mono and braid are the same diameter, the braid will have more drag. You could of course be using thinner diameter braid.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A friend recommended Frog Tongues to me the other day. He said they held better than Pyramids . I don't have a mold for Frogs so I'll be sticking with the Pyramids unless someone can convince me otherwise.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
A friend recommended Frog Tongues to me the other day. He said they held better than Pyramids . I don't have a mold for Frogs so I'll be sticking with the Pyramids unless someone can convince me otherwise.
They're definitely better than 4 sided pyramids and a good bit better than the Do It storm sinkers. But the mold is almost $200.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the mono and braid are the same diameter, the braid will have more drag. You could of course be using thinner diameter braid.
Ok, I got you, the reason my braid held better for me was because it was a smaller diameter than the mono I previously used.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i like the flat sinkers for actively fishing your line in calmer waters. i find that it has a steady pull when working the line in. the pyramids and tongues tend to pull out and jump and diminish your feel as the jerk out of the sand. i have even used inline round sausage like sinkers when really calm as they will eventually roll a little and maybe find a hole holding a fish.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i like the flat sinkers for actively fishing your line in calmer waters. i find that it has a steady pull when working the line in. the pyramids and tongues tend to pull out and jump and diminish your feel as the jerk out of the sand. i have even used inline round sausage like sinkers when really calm as they will eventually roll a little and maybe find a hole holding a fish.
I have seen these flat bank sinkers for sale recently but never used them nor ever saw anyone use them, you found where they would apply. I bought years ago a triangle shaped sinker with points projecting from each side of the 3 corners, one of my old fishing buddies who has past told me they were used for duck decoys, he may be right as I never saw anyone fishing with those either. I read a article in the Saltwater Sportsman magazine a couple of years a bout putting a sinker inside a golf ball size wiffle ball so not to get hung up as easy, I made some and they work pretty well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As my social activity was much lower this year, I found a new entertainment and it is online gambling. I am not new in playing different games, but I decided to earn some money on my skills. I have already tried this idea on richprize.com/p/affiliates. And it works very well. However, I am not ready yet to invest big sums as it is always a high risk to lose everything.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Flat Banks work well but there are better holding and casting sinkers for sandy beaches, such as the Storm or Sputnik ("claw"). I still prefer and cast Sputniks from 2 to 8 ounces and use them with clip-down rigs. It's all good and yer YMMV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts