Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess everyone is busy getting ready for the Memorial weekend. For me, more fishing reading :fishing:
It would be very helpful if you could give/explain some of the common fishing terminologies. Visual aids is much appreciated. As i'm not the only new fisherman wannabe in this board, it will be beneficial for all.

here is a few to start:

trolling, jigging, drag.

Thanks,
JT.

·
Registered
368 Posts
here is a few to start:

trolling, jigging, drag.

Thanks,
JT.
Trolling would be basically dragging a lure or bait behind a boat at certain speeds.
Jigging would be lowering a lure into the water to either a certain depth or bouncing it up and down on the bottom.
Drag is basically your brakes on the reel, depending on how much drag you apply, the more the reel uses its brakes to slow the line leaving the reel, lighter drag, more line /faster, tighter drag, less line /slower.
in a nutshell thats what those terms mean.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Drag would be how much pressure your reel is applying upon the fish, line and rod. The drag is what is going to stop the fish after he takes off with your bait. Most reels have the drag in the front its a little knob that you turn to the right would be more pressure and to the left less. The more drag you apply the more pressure your applying on the fish therefore the more odds you have of stopping him but also the more odds you have of breaking the line, rod, or straightening a hook(rarely happens).Match how much drag you should put to the fish your targeting to the rod, reel size line your using or risk getting spooled(loosing all of your line if a fish too big or strong takes your bait and you cannot stop him) or breaking the line.

Jigging is basically using any jig and moving your rod-tip to give it a bait-fish like action. A jig is anything that is composed of metal like a spoon(shiny silver jig that looks like a spoon and is used for mackerel and all that like fast-moving shiny things. The jig can be used in many situations and in many different ways and actions depending on seasons, weather, targeted species and many more things. Some jigs can even be trolled.

Ill continue this up tomorrow, im kind of sleepy and ive got school tomorrow!

Tight lines!:fishing:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Visual aids is much appreciated.
If you search for the terms you are curious about on youtube, I bet you will find more information then you ever dreamed of quick. Not trying to run you off, but if you could find video to compliment the explanations you are getting here, you would remember it easier.

Robert

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Keep coming with the questions JT. There is a lot of talent to be tapped into here. You're going about it the right way.
ABSOLUTELY, it is a shame more people don't just ask. You will find people here who have forgotten more than most of us will ever know.

Robert

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Here's a few fishing terms I use;

Dammit= What I say when a nice fish gets off.
[email protected]#= What I say when I knock my beer over.
You Son of a [email protected]#h= What I say when my buddy catches a bigger fish.
WTF= What I say when someone has taken my last beer.

Hope these help as well.
I am proud of you for not listing what you say when your buddy knocks your last beer over on you. Seems like you had everything else covered.:beer:

Robert

·
Registered
368 Posts

You Son of a [email protected]#h= What I say when my buddy catches a bigger fish.

Hope these help as well.
oh yeah terms i know well....and use frequently lol

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

Hope these help as well.
i also your damn when a fish spits a hook.
shit, when i snap off.
wtf, when the goog next to me outcatches me.. while i purposely cast the same distance as him and use same bait.
son of a b2342, when my matches or lighter fails to light due to water. while sucking on a unlight cig

·
3,775 Posts
OR fish scales

Otherwise known as Fish slime
Dried and embeded into the finish of a rod.

HEck, I found one stuck to me yesterday at work.

Here's one Seagull- The person or persons circuling around your cooler scanning for good bait-beer-booze-or food.

Oh and Clicker as in "he's just a clicker, or he's clicking" (Some one with a rod spiked with the clicker on and not realy paying attention to fishing until a clicker sounds.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Here's one Seagull- The person or persons circuling around your cooler scanning for good bait-beer-booze-or food.

Oh and Clicker as in "he's just a clicker, or he's clicking" (Some one with a rod spiked with the clicker on and not realy paying attention to fishing until a clicker sounds.
I remember when you first told me that one...funny as chit.....Click and Hack were clicking on a stiff NE wind and not a dam bite. The stupid chit I remember. Wish I could apply it to something useful.

Seagull..........aka NS4D aka Nserch4drum aka Al....we'll stop there to keep it G rated

Last time I was clickin I wound up with a 26" puppy drum on the beach when I went back to my rod. It werks.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Dried and embeded into the finish of a rod.

HEck, I found one stuck to me yesterday at work.

ill be honest and admit. i am a clicker. . . :rolleyes:
my bait is usually big enough nothing small bites it so if it does go off.
its something big enough. :D

now.. if i can be a pro clicker with the ladies.. nice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.