Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody been to any fiashing show in their area? I have to wait until March 6th and I was wondering if or what the buzz is.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
went to the boat show with axon this past sat in baltimore convention center. was blown away by how many nice boats they had. boats anywhere from 9,000 to 375,00. we didn't stick around for some of the shows they had. i was going broke just looking at some of the boats.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Anyone going to the fishing expo in northern virginia. I forgot its name but i went there 2 years ago and its pretty good. Although its mainly freshwater , there are some saltwater guys in there and good deals. I think its this friday saturday and sunday. Im going sunday.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

I went to the Ft Washington (Philadelphia) show last weekend. Got to meet Mike Laptew and see his latest underwater footage, including a striper blitz from underneath the waves and large fluke attacking bergalls on a rocky bottom. Working with the RFA, Mike was instrumental in getting out-of state commercial bunker fishing in NJ banned. He is very sympathetic to the mass loss of Chesapeake Bay menhaden (bunker) to the purse seiners in Virginia, and agreed that menhaden are THE most important forage fish in a healthy fishery.

Also got to touch base with Capt Dave Schauber of Sawyer Charters (Church Creek, MD.) He was pretty proud of the big red drum "accidently" caught in August (the largest fish was close to 40 lbs), so I may change my June rock/croaker trip to that month this year. See photos at:
www.sawyercharters.com

Hey cocoflea! I highly recommend attending "Monster Striper Fishing with World Record Holder Captain Bob Rocchetta" if his seminar is on the bill. No great revelations, but the man knows the little tricks that fine tune your striper (rock) fishing. He fishes out Long Island, so he may show up in your neck of the woods. I was surprised to learn that the time to catch a huge cow up north is Late June/early July instead of the usual Fall. I'm seriously thinking about grabbing him the last week of June instead of the rock/croaker trip in MD. It would be a weekday (preferably Thursday) trip. You're welcome to join me and Ed....

Unfortunately, the show made my cabin fever worse... And all week on the news they've been showing footage of a Coast Guard Ice Breaker cruising up and down the Delaware to keep the shipping channel open. That's only twice in my lifetime that the Big 'D' has frozen over in the tidal zone....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts