Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the show. Would have stayed longer but my girls lost interest after the first 15 minutes. I went looking for lure molds, but there were none to be had. There was one booth that had jig head and trolling molds. The area tackle shops had some nice setups and there were also a few NC shops represented. Didn't see any super deals that would force the impulse buy, but there is definitely a wide range of stuff to be had. Bought 3 shirts on the way out, $5 a piece.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Shoeless,

Sounds similar as I took my 5yr old daughter Friday evening, but got to stay a little longer because she had her Scooby Do fishing rod w/her so she practiced some "casting" - look out :eek:

Was planning to go back today w/some Tidalfish folks, but got hung up w/assembling bunkbed. However, did score a trip to Hooters w/my 3 yr old daughter while picking up mattresses.

And JakeAce was good to run into/meet you at the second office. Hope the ES flounder tourney goes well for you this April.

Plan to head back to tackle show tomorrow afternoon see if I can score a deal or two :rolleyes:

Anyone w/a fishin' or tackle show report chime in :cool:

Fish or buy tackle,

`bucket

·
Registered
21 Posts
Im planning to head to the show tomorrow morning to see a couple seminars and maybe pick up a rod for my new reel. Hope to see a couple familiar faces.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Me and the Kid just got back from the fishin' show, too. The Kid had fun at the Bass Masters Castin Kids competition.....Kinda funny, just some Zebcoe 33s on casting rods. Accurate casting was the point. The Kid was trying to zing it out like he's trying for Cobia off of Grandview Pier......He almost hooked a citation size clown though!

I kinda had the same reaction to the show as Shoeless. Some nice stuff, especially some of the high end rods & reels but nothing to really to trip my trigger. I thought the variety was better last year. Did renew my CCA membership like I always do at the show.

I might head back tomorrow after church. (I'll be prayin' for good weather and tight lines.) :cool:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Went to the show today too. Kinda like hangin at the tackle shop without the cigarette smoke. Didn't see that many 'good' deals and nothing too new on the tackle either for the shorebound angler. I did see one guy selling 6" plastics that look and feel like Storms.
Lighthouse and Oceans East had the entire back wall to themselves. Lighthouse has St. Croix rods for 25% off....it was tempting.
For entertainment and education, catch the show at the live fish tank. The guy I saw (younger guy of the two) was a hoot. He showed you different lure techniques and entertained the crowd with his casting and jokes. It focused on freshwater. Sit in the front and you'll get tossed some lures and other free stuff.
I left with several packs of jig heads made by some guys who makes them in a garage in Ocean Lakes, a Fisherman's Notebook, several raffle tickets and $3 hand soap (which claims will get cut bait stink off your hands).

·
Registered
515 Posts
Let it be known that the only time, and I mean the only time, that I stop and eat lunch at Hooters is when I absolutely, positively drive by one.

There. Hope that's all cleared up.

At the fishing show, I got some build your own flounder rig gear, and a chart of the Wachepreague area for the April Flounder fishing tournament. It will come in handy.

I thought the best entertainment though was watching the kids throw 70-yard casts at a target set up about 15-yards away.

I'm sure the people in the booths set up behind the casting zone got bonked a few times.

THROW MORE BACK

JAKE ACE

·
Registered
43 Posts
J.J. Tackle out of Deale had crab rings at the show for $1.00 for cotton and $1.50 for metal.

I bought six and I'll probably regret I didn't buy them out.

The deals on cast nets were pretty good too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I went back today to catch Joe Malat's seminar on reading the beach (surf fishin).
Afterwards I copped a deal on a refurbished
"old" model Penn 550 spinning reel. It
was worth the second trip.....I'm a sucker for Penn reels.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Went to the show Friday, was one of the 1st in. Was kinda disappointed that not all the vendors were in place - some were not due in till Sat.

Bought some $5 fishing tshirts Friday, and took in a seminar. Met up with a pretty good bunch of folks, fellow fishermen.

Went back Sunday and this time the vendor booths were more full. Took in another semimar, plus bought some soft plastic shads, some lure making stuff, and did a little more comparison shopping. It pays to shop around - one booth had shad bodies for .49 each, another had them for .40 each, yet another had them for 5 for $1.00. Of course I wound up buying the most expensive ones since I more or less bought them impulsively. Still, not bad....

Lou

·
Registered
668 Posts
i have to agree with heaver, that show wasn't very impressive. went friday nite and looked around , bought a 9' cast net cheap. went back saturday thinking there would be more vendors as the weekend started, disappointment. did take in a seminar which was ok tho. it was alot less then i expected . heard last year was beter. one thing i did enjoy was looking at the new diawa 30 lever drag. a very impressive reel for $309. hope you guys had a better time there then i did. :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sometimes I really miss the area down there, but do not feel to bad for me. I just made my semi-annual pilgramge to Bass Pro in NC. Scored another long pole and other sundry items.

Hope to down there in the end of March. If you see some guy that looks like he has not bathed in three days, a glazed look in his eyes, and a lure stuck through his ear, just ignore me, I am probably having a good time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts