Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to shake the change out of my piggy bank and buy my Christmas present to myself. The wife gets the paper money.
This year I'm buying one of Neil Mackellow's fishing rods. So if anybody else in the Baltimore - Washington area plans to buy a rod from Neil,let's order at the same time so that we can save on the shipping. Shipping on one rod is $40.00 and the second rod is just $5.00 more.

Seabass

·
Registered
21 Posts
seabass,
I just bought one of Neil's rods at the surf seminar in St. Augustine, Fla.
It's the PPT Nomad 13' rated for 4 to 8 ozs. The rod is three piece and comes with a soft bag and hard case with shoulder strap.
I put a 525 mag with 17 lb. Sufix Tritanium on the rod to try it out. Throwing a 5oz. casting float I could easily reach 150 yards or so. the rod is easy to load and is a very lightweight combo. Handle diameter is 23mm with Penn's sliding reel seat.
Neil and Roj put on a casting clinic Sunday and I'd recommend their class to anyone looking to improve their casting. A great time was had by everyone I talked to. I'd taught myself a lot of bad habits that were pointed out and I can already see less effort and more distance.

CrackerBob

·
Registered
568 Posts
My son bought a Extreme V-3 12ft ,4 to 6oz from Neil at the St. Auggie show. It comes with two tips, one just a tad lighter the the other.I didn't see 5yards difference in the two tips but I was more comfortable letting loose with the heavier one.
My son had just bought a ABU 6500CS Mag-Elite to go with the rod. The rookie got 5 cast before he got brave and turned down the mags to get a huge birds nest.
While he was sleeping this morning, I borrowed his rod and took it out for a good thrashing on the beach with winds of 14 MPH out of the south.All the cast were made due east so I had a cross wind and I didn't cast with the wind. I put a 525 Mag on it and was getting around 140 yards with 5 oz. I have 150 yd top shot of mono so I was close to the PPro under the mono.3-4 & 6 oz seem to get about 10 yards less then the 5 oz weight.I feel it can handle 7 oz but didn't try without my son being there.
I was surprised how well it cast for being a 3 piece rod. All mine are two piece. It fits in a bag that is 52" and all four pieces are equall lenths give or take 1/2". It was $175 and we didn't have to pay any shipping.
CrackerBob: we'll have to get together here soon and air both of them out. Between us, we ought to have enough reels to give them a real workout. Now we just need somebody to wind the line in for us. LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts