Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming down to the buxton area to surf fish an i want to know what is the best rig and bait for the fishing down there. I have two 12ft Ticas with Okuma 65 bait runners. Please let me know the best setups for fishing off the surf out there. Thanks guys and tight lines. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
This is the "Terminal Tackle" many of us use when fishing for drum,cobes,and stripers here on obx..

For line I use 20lb test,many will go as low as 14. We generally use 6 to 8 oz of lead because of current,pyramid sinker. To the running line most of us use "shockline" it is 40 to 50lb test attached to your running line. This is used to prevent breakoffs when casting and is also gives you and advantage when you are landing your fish..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Bead is

in the correct spot. It is so the fish pulling on the line can not pull the shock knot through the swivel that is attched to the weight. You would not want to have the weight hanging on your main line, which as DD stated may be as low as 14lb.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
but also wouldnt the bead on the bottom keep the weight from busting up your knot,,, i really never had any problems with the weight riding up my line and the times i have had the bead on top it just floated up to the top of the water,, which in case of the bead on the bottom is to cover your knot to protect it ,, but i do see what you are saying, i just have never had that problem.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Wouldn't hurt

to use two beads, but I think most don't bother with one between sinker and leader Knot.

·
Registered
893 Posts
However The Bead Can Be Removed If

What about removing the bead and substituitng a three way swivel for the barrel swivel? One eye is used for the very short snelled circle hook and the other eye can be used for the snap to hold the sinker. I have several reasons for this proposal based on my actual experience.

1. This rig can be cast further
2. In theory, the fish finder does not work anyway since usually the fisherman keeps the line tight with the rod in the spike
3. While fighting the caught fish, one does not have to worry about the sinker going up and down the shockleader.

I feel that the fishfinder is more of a theory than a principle. Actually, it will probably boil down to a personal preference than actual proof.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Although

If I use a heavy in line Egg sinker I will use a bead to protect the knot. A lot of Folks use the plastic type weight slides, which are not as hard on the knot as if the lead were pounding it directly.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
More info

fishbone4_14_74 said:
Not sayin your wrong but this is the first time i have seen just the one bead on top i have always seen them between the weight and the hook.
I stopped using the bead in between the slider and knot because it mashes down on the knot and weakens it.BTW I use snap swivels to attach my weight and usally use a larger dia. swivel so the ring goes around the knot not on it. The top bead will only go as high as your shock knot (unless the bead dia is too large) which keeps the weight from going higher. Not using a bead in a crowd and the weight sliding all the way up the line leads to lots of tangles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I place a bead above and below a #5 Macmahan snap with a crane swivel. this covers both situations. One problem I do have is finding beads with the right hole diameter. Most times the hole is a bit to big my shock knot slips thru, albright, and when I go to a glass bead, the hole is perfect for the 50lb Ande' shock line, but I'll end up getting sand caught inside creating abrasions on the line. I'll use the glass beads more than the plastics with the larger hole and check the line each time I reel in and clean out the sand. It werks, but I end up changing my shock leader more than I really need to.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Green cart

How long is your leader material from 3 way swiel to hook. I know you said short but can you elaborate. I'm curious

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
well i dont use beads no more like i said Dillions has a great fish finder rig for the weights ill try and take a pic of it tonight and post it tomorrow or tonight. plus there really easy on the pocket ,,, you can grab a few from just raiding the laundry or the couches in ya house :D

·
Registered
943 Posts
Not sayin your wrong but this is the first time i have seen just the one bead on top i have always seen them between the weight and the hook.
DD will have to respond to verify the following:

Some folks have a 4' shock tied from the main shock into the swivel on the hook leader.When a fish takes the bait it doesn't have a lot of slack to swallow the hook before the bead hits the 4' shock knot,setting the hook.DD's rig might just be one of those. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Knot/bead

the swivel that Kenny is showing is large enough to slide over the knot and rest on the swivel attached to the hook leader. If I happen to be using a swivel that is not that large, I'll use a bead with an opening large enough to slip over the knot and give the protection. Available at Wallyworld in the craft section. They even have some that glow in the dark. Cheap. You most definately need the upper bead to keep the weight below the shocker knot.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Same as DrumDum's Picture Above

For discussion purposes, my three way swivel setup is the same as Drumdum's and Hatteras fishfinder. However, in real life, I vary the leader length based on my needs. If I am livelining, I might use a leader length of 2 feet to give the live bait fish more room to swim around.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Green Cart said:
What about removing the bead and substituitng a three way swivel for the barrel swivel? One eye is used for the very short snelled circle hook and the other eye can be used for the snap to hold the sinker. I have several reasons for this proposal based on my actual experience.

1. This rig can be cast further
2. In theory, the fish finder does not work anyway since usually the fisherman keeps the line tight with the rod in the spike
3. While fighting the caught fish, one does not have to worry about the sinker going up and down the shockleader.

I feel that the fishfinder is more of a theory than a principle. Actually, it will probably boil down to a personal preference than actual proof.

Curious,how does the weight attach to the 3 way?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another alternative would be to tie on a crane swivel in line on the shock leader. I have seen some of the fella on da point with this set up. 50lb shock, swivel, 2-3' 50lb with crane and mac, tied to swivel on short leader. No beads needed.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Cdog

Please read what I said :D You attach a snap of your choice to one eye of the three way swivel. You attach the sinker to the snap of your choice. :D Let me know if you still don't understand. :D

PS The third eye of the three way swivel is used for the shockleader. :D

PSS When I said three way swivel setup is the same as DrumDum's fishfinder, I mean everything but the barrel swivel and bead. I use three way swivel instead of barrel swivel and no bead.

Ah! Ha! I think I see the problem. Looking at DrumDum's picture, you would have to remove the stupid swivel from the dual snap. :D You can use other snaps such as Breakaway clip.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts