Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys here it is.
First off, the competition (for those of you who saw my previous thread) went great. We took 2nd place overall out of 15 bands. First place went to Robinson, who has an EXCELLENT band program in Fairfax VA, generally considered "bandville". We came in in front of Herndon who took third and who along with Robinson has always been considered one of the top 3 or 4 bands in the state. We were all pretty happy with the way things unfolded.
Now on to the good stuff. Sunday morning fished the beach in front of 38th(I think) street. I had bought a box of squid at Ukrops on the way to the beach and snuck it past the chaperones so I fished that on a fishfinder rig with a 4 ouce sinker and a 1/0 hook. One little tap and that was it, then again I didn't really expect anything. Just wanted to fish that rod for the first time. What made it all better was when at about 9:00 two of our senior gaurd girls came out asking for a fishing lesson. Naturally I had to oplige:D After that I never got to touch my rod except to cast it for them but they had a ball so it was alright.
At around 3 I got down to VA Beach pier to hear of a slow spot bite. Bought bloodworms and squid and headed out. Didn't do anything, small nibbles and nothing else. Went out to the end of the pier around 6 and threw out the surf rod with a chunk of squid. Pulled in one dogfish about 4 or 5 pounds.
Monday morning I hit Rudee Inlet at 7 with squid. Caught 2 yellowbelly spot. Both hits about 60 feet from shore with the guys around me throwing as far into the channel as they could and getting nothing. Pinned one of the spot on my surf rod just for laughs and actually got it womped real good. I fumbled it though and never did get the hook to set home. Oh well, still had fun.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Good job Plankcaster...I know you are very proud of all your members.Yea, Fairfax has always had a great program.I remember some of Phil Fuller's bands.Always noteworthy!Sounds like everyone enjoyed doin a little feeshen ,too.Maybe next year the MAIN- event could be the Neptune feeshen tourney instead of the competition.Would be interesting!!!...the R

·
Registered
824 Posts
Good fishing report. Me? Band march drill sargent, Sousaphone and upright bass in my teens, then a lot of years on electric bass and of course fishing, engineering kept me out of trouble in the daytime. Fishing is just like music in that if you want to be good you have to spend the time at it.
This is the time of the year that the fish are fat and hungry. What's you're best piece of fishing equipment? Your imagination!
I'm glad you enjoyed our beach.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The R, I need to convince the director at Tidewater HS to schedule the competition the same weekend as the Red White and Blue offshore tourney:D
flea, being called hardcore by you is definetely a compliement! Took some doing but I managed to convince one of the girls in the saber line to put the box of squid in her lunchbox.
Cdog, mucho thanks for the support.
1mocast, Western Branch?! You guys have always had a good band, gave us a good run in our class (Quad A) last year at Tidewater. Missed the show this year though. What instrument did you play?
Thanks for all the support guys

·
Registered
251 Posts

started with the trombone, switched to the baritone, and last but my favorite was the sousa---- who needs woodwinds anyway.....brass all the way......lol

I wonder if Mr. Gerhart is still directing

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who needs woodwinds?!!! Aww heck naw! I play tenor sax in marching band as well as jazz band, advanced symphonic (one of the top ranked in the state) and a rock/ska band that me and a few other friends goof around with playing shows in the area. We have your regular compliment of guitars/ drum set but also a tenor and alto sax, trombone, and 2 trumpets. Its a blast. Have often thought about learning a brass instrument, would most likely be trombone. Not sure if Mr. Gerhart is still there but the name sounds familiar, I'll try to remember to ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts