Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived in KDH Monday evening to late to fish but got everything ready and found some bait for Tuesday. Got to the inlet at about 6:30 AM Tuesday and fished the incoming tide and about three hours of outgoing tide. The current was strong and 8 ounces would hardly hold, but managed to watch people catch stripers on both sides of me while I was skunked. Left at about noon and headed south. Checked every ramp from 27 to the point. Water was pretty at a bunch of spots but I did not fish, just rode arouned enjoying the sites. Watched the crowd at the point for about an hour, but no fish caught.

Wednesday, went back to the inlet as that was the only place I saw any fish caught. Fished next to the same guy who was still there from the day before. He fished the same spot for 24 hours and caught three fish. Current was even stronger, so I spent about an hour walking my bait towards the bridge as there was no one in the way. Talked to a local who said he had been out on a boat the day before and there were stripers all along the beach from the inlet to Coquita Beach. (sp) Later found out he was one of Wilbers fishing buddies. I took his word and headed north. Found a spot I liked and sit up shop. Caught a 30 inch striper pretty quick and thought I had found a honey hole. No such luck, no bites the rest of the day.

Thursday, no bites and no fish. Rode around looking again and rode the beach from above Corolla to the Virginia line. I have been going to OBX for 30 years and that was my first ride on the upper beaches. The beach is like a highway and there are houses pretty much the whole way. Saw no holes or bird action to make me want to fish so called it a day. Cdog showed up at the condo about 6 so we talked and got to know each other while watching TV. He had fished a couple hours at the inlet but had no luck.

Friday, I got to the spot I had caught the only fish at about 6:30 AM. Fished steadily with four rods sometimes and changed baits often. Nothing!
Then Cdog shows up. I would have most likely left if he had not showed. About an hour after he got there I finally got a bite and landed a puppy about 24inches. About fifteen minutes later got another bite and the drag started singing that sweet sound and I knew this was a bigun. Took about ten minutes and fifty yards down thew beach landed a 42 inch hog. I really thought it was my biggest ever but it was quite. It weighted 34 and change on Clays scale and 33.25 on official scales about 3 hours later. The rest of the P&S guys started showing up but no more bites for anyone.

Saturday, we all tried the same spot but the water was off colored and a strong current. I did manage another nice puppy by sneaking a bait on the drop off. We all tried the drop off some more but no more bites. Bucket and NS4D went south and found another striper so all in all it was not a bad day but it would have been nice to have gotten more bites so everyone could have caught fish.

We all went to the Rusty Ritz after that everyone had a great time. Wilber and his crew know how to throw a party. Can hardly wait for the next time.

Tight lines...

Ken

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Ken, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Thanks for th place to stay an even better thanks for letting me see some nice fish! :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts