Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever heard of the Penn Jarvis Walker 600s? I'm about to buy this reel and was wondering if anybody has ever used it or heard anything about it.

thx ron

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't own one but have heard there decent reels. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The 600s is from Penn world wide division

Their is alot of slack between the two since Penn was sold, but they are still being sent to the us.I wouldn't compare it to a ss. But it will get you through a few season. Make sure that it comes with a warranty, it should be on the bottom of the box where to send it. The warranty is actually one of those where you send it and they just send you a new one back, The address should be a NJ address. Plus, with what you save you can buy three or four. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nobody seem to know much about these reels

I would take the "No news, is Good News" attitude with them.

If they were having problems, it would be widely known.

Apparently, nobody is complaining.

Jarvis Walker is a respected name in Austrailia, where they originated. And the Aussies are Serious fishermen.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I picked up an Integra Silver 7500 last year to match a 15 footer as an experiment. The few times I got to use the reel it seemed ok. The pole is a different story (tooo much work). I know Jarvis is made by Penn but I dont feel their quality can be compared the same way. It holds a hell of a lot of line though and I landed a 15# Rock this spring with it, so I guess I would rate it a 6.5 out of 10

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to agree with Axon. I bought a Jarvis Walker Integra Black Gold 7500 spinning reel and a 12' JW spinning rod as my first surf fishing combo. I have no complaints with the reel but regret buying the rod. The action and loading of the rod are much too soft for distance casting. As far as the reel goes, if you are a beginner or casual fisherman (as I am, I'd like to get out more but realistically, I P&S fish about 10 times a year.) it isn't a bad reel. For that much fishing I am of the opinion that if the bail works and the handle cranks, thats all you need. If you are a more serious fisherman and still want to save a few bucks, look for a sale on Okuma Epixor reels. I got my EB65 through a deal (posted on the boards here) at Sports Authority for $59.00 shipped! I hope they make that mistake again soon so I can get another.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The JW rod isn't that bad

For what they sell for on ebay, I can't think of another rod that compares at that price.They almost always sell for less than 30 for a 12' and I have seen people cast 5 oz with little problem. Now to step up try the Daiwa Eliminator or even the ande 12' surf rod doesn't sell for alot either. But with both of those, you have to wait through a few auctions to get one at the right price.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be doing a lot of fishing with this reel. I bought it b/c it seemed like a good quality reel that can hold a lot of line that wasn't extremely expensive. THe thing is, can the reels drag and the reel stand up to a fish that fights hard and makes very long runs?

How much do they cost also?(i bought mine off of ebay)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts