Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience fishing the Potomac around Great Falls or that battlefield up in Leesburg, or maybe Difficult Run, this time of year? Worth the effort?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Was just talking to Shaggy and Anthony about Great Falls area today. I have fished that area many times but never this early in the season. The C&O canal that runs parallel to the potomac I am sure is frozen. The water moves pretty swiftly in that part of the potomac so I am sure there are spots to fish. In the spring and fall I have caught walleye, bass, and catfish out of there. It might be worth a shot. I may check it out in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Rugger,
Try the dickerson Pepco power plant on the potomac. Its the only place to fish during the winter on the river. Just take darnestown rd all the way down until you hit the town of dickerson. I was there last week. Saw a few people pull up some good size cats. I missed a catfish, had plenty of bluegills (too many), and a smallie. The water temp there is about 15 degrees warmer than the rest of the river. The warm water comes from cooling down the turbines in the plant. Anyhow, Good luck fishing in this weather.

Addicted

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fish Bait,
Its all bank fishing. You could get into the water, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. Once you get to the parking lot, the plant is a little walk up the canal. Hope this helps.

addicted

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, not to be dense but I'm totally unfamiliar with that area. Is it Dickerson, MD? I guess to get there from Herndon you'd probaby go over White's Ferry?

If we get a warm day this week (well,ok, a day above 30) I just may play hooky and head on over.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Bob,

If your coming from Herndon you don't want to go Whites Ferry. Go across Cabin John bridge to 270 take the Rockvill exit and go 28 west. It's only about 12 miles or so up 28. Weatherman says it's getting warmer the end of next week, let me know if you want to go.....Tightlines

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That 45 degree Thursday is looking pretty good....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts