• No

Votes: 16 53.3%

• Total voters
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many people keep fishing logs. Just started one in Aug. Figure it will be interesting to look back in a year to see how I did. :cool:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I kept a Journal from 1972 to 1988.

It's both interesting and depressing to read back thru the chronicle of those years.

Aparently, the days had several more hours and the hills wern't as high.

Things change.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've kept one since 97 when I first moved down here. I find it helpful in documenting tide, weather, and water temps, and then what I caught. In the six years since, I've caught a total of 1278 fish. No comparison to the likes of Jake Ace, but each one was a pleasure.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Kind of

When I am on AI, make notes of where I fish, type of day, water, wind and temperature conditions. Also make notes on the Park Service AI map, make note what if anything I caught, good hits and screwups. Also note where others who caught and where.

Now, want to be able to make a note of "my magic spot".

Other than that, I am just fishing.

Have Jeep will travel.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Cdog,

Kept a fishing/boat log from `97-03 when I had 14' jon boat ... have never just a "fishing" log ... will say boat log did provide for a good look back at solid info and fishing trips. Also documented people, places, times, etc., (and it's the etc that's the good part :) )

Fishing log, eh ? Interesting :cool:

`bucket

·
Registered
303 Posts
Keeping a Fishing Log

I have kept a Fishing log for over 15 years now. I log Water Temps, Fish caught & released, Tide, Sky Condition, Winds, Moon, Seas/Waves, Bait & Tackle used, Duration, Location, etc etc. I even have this log in an Excel spread sheet with formulas which shows me how many of each species I have caught each year, Money spent & how much each fish cost on the average..............which tells me to buy them from Etheridge up on Long Creek--their cheaper! LOL

Anyway, this log has become an obsession to where it is not fun anymore, so, a word of advice, don't get carried away.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bucket, interesting ya put in th etc. cuz thats one thing I have been adding to my "reports" in th log is th people I fished with,other P&Sers that I met etc. :)

Togman, rest assured my log won't get that complicated. I'm too lazy! :D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yea, I will say, I dread sitting down & keying it all in sometimes.......if I wait till the next day, I sometimes forget details, so I started to carry paper & pen w/me. I have had people ask me all the time''"What are you writing down"--I tell them I am a free-lance fishing reporter! haha.

It is a lot of work, ut on a cold January & February night when you are jonesing to go fishing, it helps pass the time & cold weather by reading it over & looking back at photos.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I write it all down an your right to do it as soon as possible, otherwise I leave out details.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I keep 1 too,but sometimes miss small details.I need to cut down on the beer.

Yeah going through my log can be depressing and sometimes inspiring,when the fishing starts to fluctuate.I keep mine on Excel,also.

Y2K was possibly my best year.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Been keeping one for 20 years, really amazing how much insite you can get by reading through them from previous years...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts