Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing live eels from the surf ? Has anyone tried this with any sucess. If so how was it rigged? Striperes would love it.
Scrapple

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Hey Scrapple,

I have used eels from the surf although I don't do oit often but I have rigged them through the lips with a 5/0-6/0 circle hook, and an egg sinker or torpedo weight, sinker wight depending on how rough the surf was. I didn't do too bad, but I prefer bunker or clam from the surf.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I have never done it, but I have read about it a few different times in magazines. Seems like it might work if the eel stays on the hook during the cast.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Eels work great! Stripers slurp em' up like candy. You can hook through the lip or the tail. I just use a fish finder drum rig with them. I've never thrown one off, they are tough as shoe leather. The good is that they live a long time but they don't cast as far as cut bait.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ells

A lot of people use ells at night on the catwalk at Oregon Inlet. Like Brooksobx says they will stay alive a very long time. I am fishing the Striper Showdown this weekend in Hatteras. We cannot fish near any of the inlets but I usually keep an ell on one rod while fishing from the sand. One thing for sure a big striper won't pass one up to find something else to eat. Goodluck!!!
Bob S

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
If you're going to let them sit, hook them through the tail so they're constantly trying to swim away. Otherwise they'll tangle the hell out of your terminal gear.

If you hook them in the lips, toss them out and slowly drag them back towards you.

·
Registered
909 Posts
here is a good trick take a 5 gal bucket and cut the bottom off it2-4"" then drill holes in it with a 1/4 in bit now take that and put that inside another 5 gal bucket put the eels in the bucket and put ice on them this will keep the eels out of the water in the bucket the ice with slow them way down making them real easy to hook if you are going to let the sit on the bottom circle hook in tail if your going to slow retrieve hook thru eyes or lips

9 rock

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
here is a good trick take a 5 gal bucket and cut the bottom off it2-4"" then drill holes in it with a 1/4 in bit now take that and put that inside another 5 gal bucket put the eels in the bucket and put ice on them this will keep the eels out of the water in the bucket the ice with slow them way down making them real easy to hook if you are going to let the sit on the bottom circle hook in tail if your going to slow retrieve hook thru eyes or lips

9 rock
I usually just put them in a bag and throw them on top of the ice in my bait cooler. They go dormant on the ice, but as soon as their in the water they liven back up. I've never had a problem keeping them that way.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I usually just put them in a bag and throw them on top of the ice in my bait cooler. They go dormant on the ice, but as soon as their in the water they liven back up. I've never had a problem keeping them that way.
yea that works also but you have to watch them a little more closely
sometimes I have the eels for a week

9 rock

1 - 11 of 11 Posts