Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done mostly shore fishing from the sand or rocks and wanted to know what # line you guys use? Can I get away with using 15# line? I would like to maximize my casting distance but would hate to lose that big one if it does happen to strike. 15# line can still haul in a pretty big fighting striper or bluefish right?

If we can get a poll of what # line everyone uses and what application of fishing(sand,pier,etc)that would be great.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'm gradually respooling all my reels with 30 lb. Power Pro Super Braid Hi vis. yellow. It has the same diameter as 8 lb. mono and casts like silk. I've used this line both for bay and ocean fishing and like it alot. I like the Hi vis. yellow because I like to know where my line is and it gives me an indication whether or not my sinker is holding bottom. So far I've respooled 4 reels but at over $20.00 a pop I'll wait on the rest. BTW good topic. It's always good to see what the other guys and gals are doing.

Catman.

·
Registered
17 Posts
SpiderLine, Stealth fishing line 30lb.
It's really smooth, and never tangled on spinning reel, in my experience. And also it doesn't cut the guide ring of my fishing rod.
It's expensive but really worth to have.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I hate braids.
I use 12lb Big Game on my smaller reels and 15 lb. on my bigger reels. I use a 40 lb Flourescent Green Big Cat by Berkeley for a shock leader on my smaller reels and a 50 lb Big Game for a shock leader on my larger reels. If I am fishing from a bridge, I just make the leader longer.
I fought a huge fish for quite some time the other night on the choptank river bridge with a 6'6" cheapo rod and an old Mitchell 300 reel. The line held up just fine because of the long shock leader.

It's all a matter of preference. If you want to pay lots of $$ for expensive braided lines, go for it. I've never had problems with MONO, so I've never bothered using anything else. Why fix what's not broken?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Right on Husky,I'v tryed braided line and just can't get the hang of it and lucky I just put it on one reel,that will be coming off this week some time. I use Berkley Trilene XT 20# for my bigger reels and for my other ones it's eather 15# or 17# and for my shock leaders it's Ande 50#.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
17 lb berkley big game. Its good line. I will probably go 15lb Maxima Ultragreen when its time to respool though. I am tempted to try some braid. My wallet is afraid I will like it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For soaking baits, I use 15 lb suffix mono with 40 or 50 lb mono shock leader. I've never lost a fish due to line breaking, I've lost few fish on snap going bad and knots failing. For tossing artificials, I use 40 lb power pro.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Depends on the reel, but I use anything between 15 and 20# Sufix Tritanium. Anything above 17# also gets a 40# shocker.

Be careful about using that heavier braid on lighter spinning reels. Most reels' gears are not meant to take that kind of strain if you clamp the drag down. You can easily strip the gears.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Suffix Hi Vis Mono on all my surf casting reels.But I will use 80 lbs braided shock leader.I just have that fear of doing damage to myself and others if a mono shock leader should fail.

On all my lite stuff(8 ft trout rod,8 1/2 foot jetty rod),I have gone to the dark side and used braid.15 lbs test(4 diameter)on my trout setup and 20(6 diameter) lbs braid on my jetty rod.
When blues are around I will tie a 80 lbs braided leader on the trout rod to prevent bite offs.I am just getting broke replacing lures and plugs and such on mono line.

Regarding drag gears,I loosen the drag and and fish the monsters in.I have made the mistake on an old Penn 7500 to crank down on the drag to power a 50+ cownose in from the surf.Lemme tell you how 50 lbs braided stuff can dig itself in on your spool!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just because I'm stove-up doesn't mean that I don't fish. Good question.You'll get many different answers.
Like most things it"pends on",I think.
I fish braid some and for some venues it's good stuff, others not so good.Like most new stuff it takes some OJL(on the job learning).
I like it for conditions/fish that need sensativity, but wouldn't use it for Tautog because it's bad about diggin in and in my limited experience doesn't hold-up well to chaffing/abrasion.
I will say this; for conditions where you want to get down deep quickly it's hard to beat/metal/jigs/bucktails.
If I were still able to fish a lot in a lot of different venues though I'd stick with what I know best; mono.
You can get to the point where you're"out-specializing yourself" and can't keep track of all the different"stuff" you've got.
As far as brand names go that's strictly a personal thing.Any of the "big boys" will fill the bill.Personally I've never cared much for Ande(too stiff)nor any of Berkleys stuff(don't know why),the old AN40 Silverthread was great but is now gone,for really small dia.mono Cabelas has Tectan which is made in Germany by dAm I believe,Suffix Tritanium is excellent as is Gamakatsu.
Not sure about"joining knots"for mono to braid.Mono-to-mono/ie.;shock/abrasion traces a good rule of thumb is 10lbs of lb test for every ounce up to 80lb test(mono.)ex. 5oz+bait=50lb shocker.
Check Inet fishing sites for all kinds of discussion and how-to on different knots.
Hope this helps,reelseat.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Or go to the knot guide link on the left.
I use a double Uni knot for my shockleaders.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts