Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a Daiwa emblem x5500a reel and i'm trying to sort out the best line to put on it. I understand that spectra fibers are coming to be very popular, but I think that I'd like to start out with a mono line until I get things down. The problem is that there are a hundred types of mono line out there qand i can't figure out which would be best for surf fishing at 20#. I have been leaning towards Yo-Zuri hybrid or Ande Tournament but maybe I'm wrong....any input please?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hey itsme I also have a daiwa 5500A.I used to go with Berkley Big Game HiVis but lately I have been using Suffix Tritanium Plus.The jury is still out as to whether I'll be switching back or not. I use th Yozuri smoke in 10# on my light rods,only problem I have seen with it is I haven't seen a spool of it that would fill a 5500.When I got my 5500A spooled at th tackle shop it took like 350 yrds to fill it. The Ande I use in 50# for my shock leader and one problem with it IMO is it has memory,always wants to kink. However that problem might not exist in th 20#. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw a spool of Yo-Zuri hybrid in walmart of all places that was 600yds and only like 13 bucks for the 20# test. So I guess I may go for that. thanks for replying.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Use 20 lb YoZuri Hybrid on my conventionals and my spinners for the surf with no problems. Use 15 lb on my ABU 6500 CS Mag for casting lures at IRI and love it! Strong stuff!

Stopped using Ande and Berkley Trilene Big Game last year.

Stopped using spool mono for shockers and went with the leader material in large coils of 50 lb test. No kinks. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts