Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a new fishing knife, and I need a suggestion. I'm looking for a knife somewhere between a leather man and Crocodile Dundee's knife.

Last year I saw a planker slice a blue in half with very little effort at all and realized I'm missing that ability.

Any suggestions?

Fred.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Serrated Knife works great for cutting bait. Some of the people I have fished with are using this for cutting bait and it slices through bones and all like butter!:D

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
I have a Leatherman Super Tool 200 and I absolutely love it. It's definitely worth the money.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
In almost every pier they have a plastic bucket packed with filet knives and bait/paring kinves. Buy one each of these and a good sharpener. This October I saw a guy buy a filet knife, run it through his sharpener, and steak a cobia with no problem.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
CFT,

Like E said, I like my Leatherman. OBXR is right on w/serrated blade for cutting bait/bone, but watch your hands/fingers as I start bleeding just looking at'em :eek: :p

KF23 is right on price, but make sure you have a good stone and rod for sharping. Sans sharpin' rod/stone (and the time), grab a Fiskars for a good off the shelf knife.

Essential for filets is a Rapala filet knife especially for final prep to cookin' ;)

Fish or cut bait,

`bucket

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I actually have a leatherman that I've had few years. Great tool.

I do a search and find a serrated Fiskars. That might be the way I go.

Thanks again.

Fred.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How do you guys feel about electric knives for filleting? I've seen some guys go through fish so fast and so efficient that I am thinking about getting one. I can fillet pretty good with a regular filet knife but it just takes me a long time.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i feel like the electric ones don't get as much meat as i could get doing by hand. just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts