Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to invest in a fishing kayak. I'm looking to fish the bay and the local creeks. Can anyone give me some pointers on what I would need, like size, type etc..

Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I was actually going to post a similar question yesterday. I'm also looking into getting a fishing kayak. I've seen a couple at dicks I like and are reasonably priced. Just curious as to some favorite spots to check out on a kayak

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Light tackler I want to explore some places that's only accessible by kayak also get out in the bay a lil bit. I've been to Dicks and West Marine looking at yaks. They have some affordable yaks at both places. I been looking at the ocean frenzy 10ft.
KK the hobie is a nice one also. I can't afford a boat so this is the next best thing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty settled on a ocean kayak. Probably wait until January to get it. Until then I will be getting gear for it. Hopefully we can hook up and fish together.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was at Dicks today. They only had sit in yaks. Tomorrow I plan on going to west marine in Annapolis. They should have a wider selection.
Does anyone know locally where else you could
get one?
ACK is way to expensive for me.
Light Tackler that would be awesome.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was at Dicks today. They only had sit in yaks. Tomorrow I plan on going to west marine in Annapolis. They should have a wider selection.
Does anyone know locally where else you could
get one?
ACK is way to expensive for me.
Light Tackler that would be awesome.
If you're in Annapolis, swing by Annapolis Canoe and Kayak. What's your budget? Some deals to be had out there now and also take a look at lightly used yaks too.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Backyard boats is a hobie dealer Annapolis canoe and kayak has wilderness system yaks both good. Try Austin canoe and kayak on line compare yaks and cheap delivery I bought a couple yaks from them through the years.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
look for online posts by J. A. Veil around different fishing forums. He is the best kayak fisherman in the Annapolis/Severn River area. He can point you to the right direction in terms of what kayak to get for your needs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Delaware paddlesports among other kayak sales and rental places sell their used kayaks around this time of year (Nov-Jan) for very steep discounts if it is not too far of a trip from where you are located.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My budget is 1000$.
I will check out Annapolis canoe thanks
Check out the close outs on Austin Canoe & Kayak. Take a Look at either the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 or 11 in this section. Both are solid yaks for what you want to do and under a grand shipped to your door new.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've been fishing out of the same kayak (an Old Town Loon 160T) for almost 20 years.
I never have a passenger (especially since my trusty Jack Russell passed), so I removed the front seat and installed rod holders in the stern deck.
Although I do find the fishing focused kayaks intriguing, they've never been suited for me, because they are singular in their purpose.
I like to use my kayak for too much. Even if it's just a scenic paddle. Or waterfowling, or camping.
These are things that a fishing oriented kayak can't do. Except maybe the scenic paddle, and they aren't particularly suited for that either. As they tend to be short, and a bit wide for stability, which hinders touring capability. A short, wide kayak is not a particularly efficient platform, nor is it ideally suited for rough water.

Point being, if you're considering kayaks, hold into consideration just what you're going to use it for.
Kids, for example. They can be rough on a kayak. Flipping them, jumping out of them, etc.
I don't want a kayak I can't let the youngsters enjoy.
But that's just me.

My big old kayak can cover some distance with ease, carry a heluva lot of gear if I want to, and still boat fish like that's her job.
Something I've said before is, if I wore a hole in her bottom today, I'd very likely grab the very same one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts