Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out on Granview a few days ago. Not much going on a few small flounder and crokeris what i caught. Anyway there was a guy with his three kids just dwon from me. His kids kept running up and down the pier and except for the ocational "slow down" it didnt seem to bother him. Well they kept running past me, barefoot to boot, so i told them to watch out they could get a hook in there foot. Well not 3 minutes later here they come flying down the pier and happen to find the 5/0 mustard hook i was in the process of strining up. The father had the nerve to come down and bitch me out cause his kid got a hook in his foot. I told him if he had made sure his kids didnt run around, or at least had shoes on there wouldnt be a problem. To me it seems like a little karma he got not only did he have to leave the pier but had to take his kid to the hospital. I feel bad for the kid i know it hurt but i didnt have my stuff all over the pier they came running like a bat ou tof hell to me. Just seems like coman sense would say that a fishingf pier is nto the best place to run barefoot.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
People with kids sometimes :rolleyes:

Guess they just get used to it, but to let them on a pier with no shoes.........call it stupid or ignorant, but never the less,wrong :eek:

·
Registered
337 Posts
it's true, fishin piers attract all sorts of strange creatures. Just too bad for the kid. Parents do need to use a little common sense, but not only that, you can't blame another for your own stupidity, and I don't mean you, fishslaya. you're right, a pair a shoes or even flips would have gone a long way.

todd

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Ouch

Was that the biggest kid you have caught this year? I bet he put up a good fight. I am glad to hear that you released it to fight again another day. I may have been tempted to keep 'em and put above my fireplace. :p Mind your chillins and lil'uns.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I haven't taken my 3-year old on the pier yet, but by golly when I do he'll have some darn shoes on. I struggle taking my flip-flops off on the beach at Gloucester, Yorktown and Willoughby there's so much broken glass on the beach, much less the few hooks that I find every trip.

THROW MORE / SOME / MANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
sounds like to me him & his kids would've been better off on the beach prolly aint even come on th pier to fish :(

·
Registered
77 Posts
The root of of a situation

like that is, the father isn't really devoted to the children's interests; if he were, they wouldn't be running 'unsupervised', but 'dad' didn't wanna give up his own desire to 'fish first, kids later' philosophy...or so that's what it sounds like.

A lot of parents don't realize how much children 'need' them to pay attention to them on trips like this. Perhaps a balance of having the children with you/not doing a whole lot of fishing yourself on the trip with the kids one day, and then getting out on your own on another or something like that could prevent trips to the hospital. I'm sure there are other very fine options that with a little forethought could be invoked.

Going to Sandbridge tonight...*smile*...sun, tourists, and all! I'll have something on the board later about the trip.

Doad.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What is it w/ some parents?

I can't figure out what some people think when bringing their children to a pier KNOWING they won't even try to fish. Then either turning their back on them to do what ever they want while the parent / parent's pound beer after beer until they can't remember who's kids are running up & down the pier. I remember one night @ Buckroe during the COLDER nights durning a striper run when : a male supposed parent had this cute little girl had to be under 5 out there w/ him & he was waisted.... She was curled up in a ball shaking so bad she was moving along the pier from the cold. He would hoop & holler every once in awhile & she would just look up to see if it was time to go & then to put her head back down in shame. I couldn't believe my eyes & had to take my coat off & wrap her up in it to try & keep her from dieing there in that spot. The parent had the nerve to turn around to me & tell me to get my coat off her because she is learning how to be " tough ". That is when I had enough & called the police. If the cold didn't kill that little girl the drive home would have & I just couldn't sit back & fish until it was taken care of. It really made me sick to watch someone doing harm to their own & not care. It took SEVERAL calls & the last call I let the dispatcher know how serious this was & 25 minutes later a unit arrived w/ someone from the social services & took them both away seperately. I hate to see such ignorance & a few other words could explain his behaviors but I don't need to say them here BUT to try & kill your own daughter just to get drunk & fish is beyound me. I can only hope I never see that person again because I can tell you if I do it won't be a pretty sight after sitting back & thinking about what went on at that pier.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There's an old saying my dad used to use on me when I learned something the hard way, ".......Bet you won't do that again!!!" Maybe the kids had to learn a lesson the hard way, because apparently the dad couldn't teach them the easy way.:p

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not all parents are neglecting their children on piers, in their homes, or in their family environments, etc...but its clear that when parents abandon their children's interests in favor of their own, that the only thing the child learns is how to be just as selfish and to conclude that nobody truly cares for them, so they'd better be sure and put THEIR own interests first from now on! A child that goes through things like the example noted earlier here is not learning to 'never do that again'; they are learning 'never trust dad (or mom) again'. If that kind of atmosphere continues within their family, they'll pass that same attitude off to their offspring. And for what? A hangover and no fish in the freezer tomorrow?

Its sad to think someone has to report a father or mother for child neglect/abuse, on a pier, for cryin' out loud; but, that was the thing to do for sure. Its much better not to take things into one's own hands when things like this occur.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kids on the Pier

I agree with all posts. When I take my two kids 9 and 6 to the pier, I don't even take a rod. The point is not what I may catch. The point is encouraging my children and praising their accomplishments when they catch a fish. Same way my dad did with me. The excitement they exhibit when catching a 6 ounce croaker is a precious moment that I will always remember. I look forward to when they are a little older, so we can go for the big boys out there. Get them hooked on fishing or some other activity, and hopefully it will keep them away from all the evils that exist in our society.

·
Registered
59 Posts
kids and fishing

Well said Otrbanksman,

When my son and daughter were old enough to go with me fishing I would take them when ever I could with their interest in mind not mine. Now they are 19 and 15 and we still go every chance we get fresh or salt .matter fo fact my son is fishing right now, fishing is such a great time for bonding and everything else that goes with parenting and kids growing up. If used properly you can teach a lot of lifes lessons through fishing.( right and wrong , following rules, etc. I agree with the earlier posts about parents not watching kids in public places , piers surely aren't the only problem places. When wrong is seen it should be reported. My .02 worth!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.