Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished with a group of guys I only knew from the Internet on the Day before Thanksgiving. We fished with Rick Caton on the Free Agent in the Shoals at Oregon Inlet. This was "Combat fishing" at it's best. We fished in the breakers on top of the bar at the mouth of the inlet, an interesting place to say the least. We ended up catching a baker's dozen of fish in the 25lb. range. It was so rough that one of the outboards got hit broadside by a big wave and flipped. We had the only boat large enough to get in there so we ended up dragging one of the guys out of the Drink.
I have fished Offshore at least 150 time, but this a is a whole new deal.

I know some might thiink this post should go on the boating board, I think it is North Carolina fishing at it's best, that's why I put it here.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Maybe one day I'll make it out with Cato, but for now I'll stick to sand underneath my feet.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yeah I heard that he's one of the best. I also heard that there is a 2 year wait to get on his boat ;) :D .

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey Wilber,

I hear Cato has a new 1st mate? He's known as a legend down that way, some guy named Mo. :) Any truth to that my friend?.....Tightlines

·
Registered
10 Posts
We've been out with Cato, he is awesome! We went out in the spring in the sound, and he warned us how bad it might be, but we ended up with limit and were very happy. I haven't heard anything about 2 yr wait, we called him the day before and he had us at the dock the next morning. I know that early spring tends to be the slow time of the year. Glad to hear ya'll did so well!
Jules:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I was just joking about the two year wait, but have heard that he has already started taking reservations for 2005.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hey double D,

I don't remember who told me that. Guess they had it mixed up with the King fishing. Hard to see that boy out on a boat every day thoe, after some of the things he had to say about rough seas in the past.

On day him and Bob will kiss and make up and he'll be back at the counter or maybe not....LOL....Tightlines

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Anthony said:
I was just joking about the two year wait, but have heard that he has already started taking reservations for 2005.
Anthony,if you ever have a problem with not finding a spot on Catto's boat,try Devin Cage on the Poacher. He's an ole friend of mine from the planks,and he can put you on some fish as well or better than anyone down there,I gaurantee.. ;)
Hat,IMO,they'll be servin ice water in the "hotspot" below before those two make up..... :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yeah I've been reading the reports that both of them have on their website to see if the stripers have come in yet. Seems like that they have. It looks good for dec 13.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right on Anthony, the 13th is looking better with every passing day.
The waiting list for Ricky is not that bad, some folks book the same day every year and he has booked some for 06. We have the day before Thanksgiving pm trip again next year. Just give him a call and set something up.
DD, you are right about Devin, first class all the way. I fished with him a few times when he was mateing years ago.
Cato's mate now is a boy named Chris, he's a hearty sort and a good mate. His son mates druing the summer when he is out of school. When I first met Patrick, his son, he was 1yr. old, crawling around in the salon of the Temptation chewing on a rubber squid, I knew he was going to be a good fisherman.

PS I can't imagin Mo and Cato working together on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I don't know Cato but have seen his "rants" (to put it mildly) on other pages. :) Even invited someone to downtown Manteo "to teach him a lesson.":( Also had some confrontations with "fly-by-night" charter capts. Overall, they we're humorous threads and people seem to like pushing his buttons on the threads. :)

I've also heard he'll get you on fish and will tell you straight up on the conditions before you step aboard. From his reports, he backs it up too by turning whole days into half days if they're not biting or the conditions are too rough. Good to see he's not that bad of a person. :)

Wilber - Looking forward to the 13th too!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hey Wilber - I like your description of your trip on "DD's...Place" better. I bet that was a blast. Got to give credit to Cato for getting that guy out of the drink in those conditions.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
C2H&G, it is Combat Fishing at it's best.
The guy we pulled out of the Rage happened to be one of Cato's friends, not that it would have made any difference. Cato flipped his small boat in the shoals years ago, he new what the guy was going through and that alone made it a "No holds Barred" rescue.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DD you are exactly right about the boat. As far as shoals fishing, I always knew you were a smart man. The 42 foot Free Agent is, IMHO, just barely big enough. I would rather be in a 68 foot Spencer. That would decrease the pucker factor a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts