Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fished in St. John or the Virgin Islands area? Me and my fiance just decided to go there for our honeymoon this summer in August. I was hoping to squeeze in a little fishing at some point during the trip. I found a few charter boat websites but they were mostly for offshore species. I couldn't find anything about beach fishing or possible species from shore. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I was in St. Croix a few years back and wish I had brought or rented fishing gear. I did a couple snorkel trips and all the coral reefs had tons and tons of small to medium sized fish. Basically looked like a huge tropical aquarium but did run into several large 'cudas and other larger fish that looked like groupers. Also, there were an abundant of fish which looked like 1-3# spanish macks. I did come across a 4 ft ray during one of those snorkel trips (pretty wild, sand colored and camo'd the sandy bottom).
You can probably find someone that rents a skiff with a small outboard on it. You don't need to go too far out because alot of the reefs that I snorkeled were close in (swimming distance from shore).

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I found this it might help you out.

n the last 25 years or so, more than 20 sport fishing world records have been set from the Virgin Islands, mostly for the mega blue marlin. Other abundant fish in these waters are bonito, tuna, wahoo, sailfish, and skipjack. Sport fishing charters, led by experienced local captains, abound in the islands; both half-day and full-day trips are available. But you needn't go out to sea to fish. On St. Thomas, St. John, and St. Croix, the U.S. government publishes lists of legal shoreline fishing spots (contact local tourist offices for more information). Closer inshore, you'll find kingfish, mackerel, bonefish, tarpon, amberjack, grouper, and snappers.

On St. Thomas, many men line fish from the rocky shore along Mandahl Beach, which is also a popular spot for family picnics. The shore here is not the best place for swimming, because the water drops off dramatically and the surf tends to be rough. On St. John, at the Virgin Islands National Park, the park waters are open to fishermen with hand-held rods. No fishing license is required for shoreline fishing, and government pamphlets available at tourist offices list some 100 good spots. Call tel. 340/775-6762 for more information.

T<----->Lines
Kozlow

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Sure she's going to let you go fishing on your honeymoon? :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Emanuel, if I play my cards right I hope so ;) . Actually, she is certified to scuba dive, and I'm not, so when she goes diving, I'll probobally get a chance to fish.

Thanks for the responses chest2head and Kozlow. We are staying right at the National Park, so I'll call for that pamphlet you mentioned.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Well congratulations. Hey, if she dives and you fish, should work out nicely.

Hopefully we get another Flogging Molly tour soon, so we can meet up again. Most likely, Mid-Atlantic is getting skipped this tour, unless you feel like driving to Towson, MD. So I am flying out to Seattle to see them. I wonder if the salmon are running the end of next month?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Lived in Puerto Rico for several years and got to go to the Virgin Islands on all our three-day weekends. I have dove and snorkeled there but have not fished there.

Caught lots of barracuda's and bonefish in PR on topwater plugs...anything that has lots of flash on it or moves very fast will attract them to your plug.

Favorite barracuda lures include Zarra Spook, Top Pups, Krockadyle spoons (hammered brass and silver, silver flash, green and blue mackeral colors), and flies tied with Marabou and Flash-a-Boo colors.

Enjoy and work the lure fast - the barries will love you for it!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Hey Jimmy -- I can see it now. You fishing from the boat, her down there in the scuba outfit yanking your line and tying all kinds of weird crap to it... Take plenty of pics!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha Ha Manayunk Jake- that sounds like something she would enjoy- I'll have to make sure she dosen't see this thread and get any crazy ideas.

Emanuel- I would have driven to MD if the F.M. show wasn't on weeknight, but I guess I'll wait till next tour now.

Thanks to everyone for all the good info.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I actually just read the complete text of your post. OK, here it is, I lived down there for 10 years: The environment down there is completely different, you're very unlikely to catch anything off the beaches. Not impossible, just very unlikely. Besides, in many areas there are prohibitions against having hooks out in the water where people might be swimming, or snorkling, or diving. So you're left with three choices: 1. Deep Sea Charter, the most expensive. 2. Headboat, which only run in season, since the fish school and arrive for about a month, and are absent the rest of the year. 3. Someone you know, or pay with a small boat to take you out, but you would be well advised to know this person, or have them be from an identifiable business, as there is piracy in this area. Read: "not just anyone". You can fish in this manner for reef fish, but check with someone who knows before you try to eat any, as many carry reef toxins in their flesh, and are not advisable to eat.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Hey Jimmy we spent our honeymoon in St. Croix and had a great time! We did a lot of snorkling and there are a lot of different types of fish to see, not to mention shells, rays, etc. If she already scubas my suggestion would be to take lessons before you go (there's plenty of time) and enjoy it together. Separate agendas on the honeymoon??!! You've got to be kidding, I never let mine out of arms reach. I never saw any rod & reel guys on the beachs but there were a few "Rasta-Boyz" spear-fishing the reefs and picking lobsters from the same areas. Give the girl a break and do this thing together, if she's good enough to marry it should be no problem spending a week or so together, besides you've got the rest of your life to do separate things if you want. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
FYI...

St John is the smallest of the Virgin Islands. At one time, 80% of the island was owned by the Kennedy's. They donated their part to the National Park Service.

Lots of beaches to snorkel or dive. My favorite was Hawks Nest. Bring an underwater camera if you have one...the fish come right up to you...

Rent a Jeep...cheap and it will get you around...

At night...a couple of clubs in the "downtown" area have reggae music..you can walk around town with a drink in your hand all night listening to the tunes...

"Head Shops" - Lots of little shops that sell homemade jewelry are all over.

Watch out for pickpockets...get one of those wallet holders that hang on to your neck...and beware of what you leave in your rental car (if you get one)...

We loved it and spent EVERY three day weekend escaping from Puerto Rico to St John!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, sounds good. I am starting to get excited even though the trip isn't for another 6 months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My boat "!BALOO!" (Hindi for "Bear") was well known from Tortola, to Red Hook, in St. Thomas (I used to moor at Christmas Cove off Red Hook), to Culebra, Culebrita, Cayo Lobo, Lobito, Isabel Segunda in Vieques, and Westward to Palmas Del Mar, WSW of Humacao, Puerto Rico. The deep sea fishing is the best, if you ask me. I'd pay the toll to do that would be your best bet. You might not get a Marlin (But you can never tell), but the sight of a big bull Dorado (Spanish for Dolphin) tailwalking across the stern is worth what it costs. They are uniquely good on the grill as well, and completely edible. Avoid the rasta boyz, especially in St. Thomas. And er... Sandcrab, wasn't that John D. Rockerfeller that owned 75% of St. John USVI, and donated it to the U.S. Park Service ?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I think Sandcrab is right about the Kennedy's. It was during JFK's presidency that the land was donated. I got to stay in one of the Kennedy's 'beach cottages' (8 BRs is still a cottage, right) where they had a Victoria Secret's shoot. Unfortunately, the shoot was not going on the same time I stayed there.
Kennedy's, Roosevelt's, Bill Gates, their wealth is incomprehensible.
Hey Squishy - You have lived in two of the most beautiful places, the USVI and WV. They don't call it God's country for nothing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
"In November l954, the Rockefeller family began acquiring large tracts of land on St. John. The plan was to eventually turn the acreage over to the federal government for the establishment of a US Virgin Islands national park. The Rockefellers initially accumulated over 5,000 acres of land on St. John, which they donated to the Department of the Interior. On August 2, l956, President Eisenhower signed a bill authorizing the creation of the Virgin Islands National Park. Over the years, the size of the Virgin Islands National Park on St. John has grown steadily. Today it totals more than 9,620 acres plus an additional 5,600 acres of off-shore underwater marine gardens.

Mr. Rockefeller’s visionary gesture spared St. John USVI from over-development. Instead, St. John has remained an unspoiled jewel whose captivating beauty offers unending pleasure and enjoyment to everyone who comes here."

Cool St. Thomas hint: When you come out of the airport, cross the parking lot, climb up the stairs to the road and turn right. Walk about a hundred or so yards (in the sweltering sun), to the taxi parking lot on your left. There you'll find yourself a serious minority, and "Ashley's", probably the best, and cheapest restaurant in St. Thomas. Bullfoot soup. Glorious ! And don't skip the "Pate's" either, they are excellent...

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Jimmy,

If I was going to St John, I would:

Check here first. http://www.stjohntimes.com/

Get some wading pants (the kind that convert to shorts with a zipper). Get a pair of wading shoes that slip on like diving booties. They sell a long sleeve lightweight shirt that is perfect for fishing and wading in hot weather.

Get me a 3 piece travel fishing rod. 7' should be OK.

Get me a small reel (spinning or baitcast) with 8 lb test on it. Might want to get some leader material for the barracudas too.

Get me some small lures, poppers, spoons, Floating Rapalas (CD type for saltwater), floating plastics like Slug-O's, etc. I have found that the barracudas in the Pacific love the green mackeral and blue mackeral colors in Rapalas (size 9 or 11's).

Have a good time wading and casting. Make sure to bring a big brim hat and some sunscreen. You're gonna need plies too to take those Rapalas out of the barracudas mouths! Remember - the Atlantic barracudas get up to 6' long! :eek:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts