Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I can see that, been in about ten different countries and about 7 major bodies of water and know THAT kind of fishing but still need advice on fishing over sea. Anyone with less humoress but more useful advice?

( Sorry about the sarcasm, just got off leave.)

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Just left Gaeta Italy last year. Most of the locals used the telescoping rods, spinning reels, and small hooks with worms to catch small 12" fish - which they kept for dinner. No real surf fishing gear is needed. All rods were 12-15' , telescoping, and very lightweight.

I would buy gear over there as it is suited for their type of long distance, small fish, fishing.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Have not heard about any offshore charters in the Gaeta/Naples/Rome area.

I would buy a light spinning reel and get an Italian rod. These rods are designed to cast 1 oz and hi/lo rigs long distances off rocky shorelines to distant fish.

You might want to try the SITES on the military website link provided below. Look for facilities in Italy.

https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/swg/owa/WebGuard.Login?APPL=9004&RULE=01

·
Registered
47 Posts
I grew up in Tunisia, which is right across the med from Italy, so I can probably help you out depending on what kind of fishing you're doing. I mostly did spear fishing for approx. 10 years of my life. We also laid underwater lines about a mile long with about 200 hooks.

From the beach, at least in Tunisia, and my bet is that Italy is the same, you need to find areas with rock formations pretty close. The Med much like the sahara has a lot of "underwater desert" which isn't very populated with fish.

There are a lot of similar/same family species in the Med compared to the Atlantic. For example, the striped bass family is call "Jeghalli". "Bouri" is somewhat akin to bluefish and can be found in the sandy areas close to shore. I would recommend using cut bait, octopus or squid rather than worms. You can probably use a cast net to catch some small baitfish right at the beach.

One note of warning: be careful when walking into the water, or if you reel in one of these:

We call them "Bouguecheche" in Arabic, and their dorsal fin has an extremely nasty poison. I used to spear them on my way in and bury them as a public service to the swimmers.

http://million1.com/hazardous/

Also, you don't need to use very heavy sinkers in the Mediterranean. The water most of the time is like a lake and there are few currents or undertow.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Known in the UK and the lesser weaver. The dorsal spines are poisonous, as are the one on the gill cover and can be very painful. They are an ambush predator that bury themselves in the sand with just the eyses and dorsal fin protruding. Very easy to step on. If stung apply heat to the affected area immediately to reduce the pain. A cigarette end or hot water will do it. BB

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Kittens as Bait for Giant Catfish

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=422336

This Europe: Anglers in northern Italy find new bait to catch river Po's giant catfish: live kittens

Excerpts follow:

Anglers from northern Europe are using live kittens for bait while fishing in the Po river for the gigantic sheat-fish, according to police.

The sheat-fish is a freshwater catfish that can grow to a length of two metres or more. It can weigh up to 660lb (300kg). It has decimated the traditional fish of the Po, Italy's longest river, since its introduction some years ago, and has colonised all the waterways around Mantua. The fish, which has a jutting lower jaw and the long curling whiskers of the catfish, is omnivorous, and when it has exhausted local supplies of carp and eel is happy to snap up ducks and rats. The largest specimens think nothing of charging anglers' boats. They also eat each other.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Sweet!!!

Sounds like we need to make a trip to Italy for some big game fishing! Don't think I will be using any kittens for bait though!:eek: Ha How would you like to be the guy paddling his canoe down the river and see one of those monsters trying to swallow the back of the canoe! 8(---)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've always wondered what cats were good for.

Maybe that's why they're called "cat" fish.

Do you fish fron a "cat"walk or troll them from a "cat"amaran?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Vlad the Impaler

Interesting point Rockhead. I have similar feelings towards bait. I have sliced, diced, and impaled about anything that lives in the water for bait and have no remorse. I tied a live mouse to a hook one time and felt guilty for a week. I guess its because we are mammals to. :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.