Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i went out the past thursday
very windy day. kinda cool with that gusty sea breeze. luckily i was smart and took jacket and pants.
pulled in 5 bass in less then 40 mins on the start of the incoming tide.
4 shorts. 1 keeper. all in all, had a good half day fishing with my pops.

so, the bass are there. very hungry. just see if you can catch them in the right time.

heres a quick pic i took with my phone.
equipment used: afaw match, with a 6500 mag

·
Registered
892 Posts
Good looking spot, I won't ask exactly where but what is the hump in the distance? I have never fished New England or New York area but I am hearing more tales about vacation plans being changed from Buxton OBX area to your neck of the woods based on beach closures. I may have to try it myself. What bait were the schoolies caught on?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
todays fishing report..
caught nothing but the breeze.

i did however get a nice tan. which was my primary objective to go to the beach today. xD

even though i KNEW the tides WERE NOT in my fishing favor.. hence i caught only a breeze.

you can tell.. the pic from before, (look up earlier post) shows that same rock groin.. at the very bottom.
today... at the very top !! eeeek!

i took this pic right before i left.. see that big rolling cloud on the right?? ya.. i took away my sunshine.
and brought heavy winds with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
fished both areas and breezy point heavily back in the 70's.......most fish were caught inside the fort.........those days you had to have away to get entry by the MP's, don't know how it is today.

boy, i've got some great memories of fishing the Rockaways, i lived and worked there.

surf fishing here in florida is a different game, ENTIRELY.....i sure miss the south shore......and brooklyn.

good luck to you and hanks for the memories.

:)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now its all via permits
a permit is good for the way.
you can drive onto breezy sept till march.

but like you said, most fish is caught at tilden, even for me.
maybe the fish like the rock groins, i guess it makes rips which that camp for food.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I remember catching most of my fish at the first and second jetty.....in from
Riis Park fence..........
In those days, if we weren't plugging we used salted clams thrown out to the end of the rocks.........
Back then we used to go over to Stella Maris, in Sheepshead Bay and buy
25 gallon tin cans full of shucked clams for like 10 bucks, bring them home and soak the clams in rock salt......the clams got soooo tough you could hardly get a hook through them.
Well, sorry for chewin your ear......again Good Luck, stay safe on the beach.;)

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
nice report.. where did you get the tripods?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seems like the water is getting warmer and pretty quick already.
it was raining and cool. i was standing in the water cause it felt warmer. hahaha

pulled in a couple of skates yesterday, 2 being really big and fat females.
they were maybe 8-11lbs each. about 2-3" thick.

hope it gets really warm.. i wanna catch those migrating cownose rays again.
last year, i lost one in the wash/breaker. leader knot popped.
close enough to see it through wave. about 5' wide, 7' long. guesstimate 100+ lbs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.