Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been catching some flak lately because of how long I go fishing. After the 1.5 hour drive I will fish anywhere from 8 to 12 hours. Usually a 16 hour day total. How long do others typically stay especially if you do not live on saltwater? Someone sitting beside me thinks I'm crazy. Maybe I am but I want to prove I'm not crazy alone.
smokie

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
You aren't alone, I spent 18 hours straight the other day. :D

·
Registered
176 Posts
My father-in-law always says that you need to fish both tides which takes all day. In fact, he is quite relunctant to fish with me because I don't live up to this rule very often.

I usually fish about 6-8 hours. By that time I'm usually nicely baked by the sun or so frustrated that I'm not willing to wait for the next blitz.

As for my wife, any time fishing is time I could be spending with her and the kids. Even when she suggests that I go fishing I'm still wrong in her mind for going.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Don't mind your friend at all....oh yeah..by the way... hour and a half..?
That is mere nothing my friend! I sometime drive here to montauk for annual Blue Run or to catch early mack. That my friend is almost 7 hour drive.. ^^....but most of my fishing is done around Point Lookout, Ocean City, Virginia Beach. So, no matter how you add up it comes to 3 hour average.....
I don't think you are crazy at all...and if you are one,,,that will make me,,,,umm... :D

P

·
0 Posts
You're not alone fella. I used to drive 2 hours to the VA beach area, fish all day, about 12 hours or so, and then drive that back. On many weekends, I'd do the very same thing the next day!!!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have driven to Nags Head from Richmond just to fish two tides. Spent the night in Oregon Inlet parking lot in the back of my car.

Went to Lynnhaven a couple of weeks ago...started at 9PM around the inlet, walked/fished to the CBBT, then walked/fished back. That one killed me. Got home in Richmond around 8 AM...my head was noddin at the wheel, passed my wife on her way to the gym. She just shakes her head...

When I lived in Manhattan, I would take the LIRR to Stony Brook (2 hours)...then drive an hour with my cousin to fish the race or the gut at Orient Point, limit out after an hour and then come back to Manhattan...moonlit nights on the sound make it worth it, though. Little weird being on the uptown 6 with a soft cooler stuffed full of striper...

Sometimes I just got to get my fish on...

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
8 to 12 hours? Sounds like part time help! ;) After a 2 hour ride one way to the Delaware or Maryland surf, I like to fish at least 14-16 hours to include both tide changes. Can't remember the last time I fished only a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

When the fish are in - You gotta do what you gotta do!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It's nice to spend the day or even the weekend, but I got to admit the majority of my fishing now is done a few hours at a time. A couple of hours before work (0430-0630) or after work, preferably on the weekdays away from the maddening crowds. It's amazing what a couple of teenage boys can do to your schedule & "free time". But hey, I'm not complaining, I still go a lot and it's only 30 min. from the driveway to a quite a few good fishing holes. Just have to do my homework and pick the best tide cycles and weather.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I think there is only one time during the season that I might get a Quickie,and that would be striper season.Last year I had had some awesome luck at this one spot,that I can honestly say,I lost more(bad hook sets,and not having a net)than I kept.

But other than that,I try to fish during both tide changes.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I used to make a 7 hour drive from N. VA to Hatteras 2-3 times a month. Set up camp, fish, surf, sleep, fish, surf, break down camp, drive home. After a couple years doing that in a jeep with girlfriend (now the wife), 2 dogs and all the surf and fish gear - it got a little tiresome. Then one time on our way back home as we we're driving thru Chesapeake I said, "If we lived here, we'd be home now." Next thing you know, we packed the house and moved.
But now that I live 20 minutes from the hot spots down here, I only do 'quickies' - 2-3 hours here for a blues run at Lynnhaven or LIP, schoolies at Chix, etc. Now that the OBX is heating up, I will hit Pea Island to Hatteras 1x-2x/month and those are typically 8-10 hour days.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
If I'm fishing local(york river) than I'll go for 1-2 hrs. Going to HI I'm usally on th beach for 8-10 hrs.When fishing Sea Gull I'll fish 12-16 hrs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I am usually on the pier for 9-10 hours when the summer rolls around. If I can get the whole day off work(can't fish weekends), about 15 hours. And since this is my last summer before going back on a boat, I plan on having a lot of 15 hour days collecting splinters.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smokie,

I'm 10 minutes from Harrisons Pier and will usually get my $$$ worth by fishing at least one complete tide cycle on weekends. On weekdays, I hit the surf for 3-5 hours depending on the action.

macman

·
Registered
823 Posts
i spend 12-18 hurs at a pop wetting line. when i go i'm there for the duration most times

·
Registered
105 Posts
hay smokie. i generally need a 5 1/2
hour drive and about 8 hours fishing, at least 2 times a month .to be sane 24/7.

(FISH) Finally In Saltwater Heaven !!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts