Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had ever attemped fishing from a kayak? If so, tell me if it works. If no one responds, I'll try it and tell yall how it went.

-pd

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yep it works well. It will take you a while to hone your techniques. It's great for drifting baits. check out the tidalfish site. There is a kayak board. There is also a VA. kayak fishing association that just formed. Most of the people on the board are members. If you do web searches, there is a lot of information from the west coast. People catch sailfish, shark etc. in the baha peninsula. one year I tied off to a piling in the small boat channel north of fisherman's island, created a menhaden slick, and dropped a couple eels hoping for a cobia to come along and pull me around. Maybe someday! :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
usually when i go fish ive got my homies with me ive seen people around th parkway in them but ya wont get this old DOG IN ONE !! :p :p

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I went to Point Lookout state park in MD, and saw some women in their kayaks fishing and I could hear them whooping and hollering with their catches. So, I guess they work!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can get into and out of places where a bass boat would get stuck. I mostly use mine around the grass islands, although I have stuck my nose out into the Chesapeake a few hundred yards a couple of times.

I also like to go exploring up little creeks. I find some interesting stuff up there.

Some take them to the CBBT. I know too many people with center consoles who will take me out there to do that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Come on over to the darkside as they call it. I have been fishing from a kayak for 3 years now and love it. Yes we have a little group here in Va for kayak fishing. You can check out the link and see about meeting us with us. As a matter of fact I am heading out tomorrow morning at Rudee inlet. Going to launch between 5 and 5:30. here is the link to the Virginia Kayak Fishing Association: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VKFA/

Hope to see you out!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I fished from my kayak, but it's a lil (lotta) tippy :eek: ...I've got an Aquatera sealion.... I've fished/crabbed from a sit-on-top and MUuuuuuch better/more stable.
I mounted a rod holder on my sealion and went trolling off Sandbridge on day. Rod off to the side looked like and outrigger...it was also kinda choppy that day. I hook this spanish and all of of sudden the rod is knocking me in the head, I grab the pole and start fighting the fish 'backwards', not the easiest thing to turn around inside the cockpit and I would have rolled if I turned the boat....so I fight the fish -oh yeah....note to self....Buy a paddle leash! Got the 3 pounder in, stowed it......(uh.... another note-Buy a lil cooler) between my legs. I don't mean to paint a bad picture . Also Taken my boat to the Keys fishing....really tough in the current and around the bridges, but you can really sneak up on some stuff-rays,sharks,tarpon on the flats. Buddy of mine fly fishes outta his. I def recommend the more stable sit-on-top for fishing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh Yeah.....kayak also works great for taking out large baits from shore for shark fishing........MUCH better than the inflatable rafts I use to use :( .... Once I was taking a bait out on a raft and about 300' off the beach the line came tight and pulled the bait and hear this 'spasissssssssssss' sound..........one of the hooks punctured my lil life raft......and I was going down fast...it was right at dusk to boot.......then I start thinking...'you dumba%#!!!" I had just paddled out 300' with a 5 pound , bloody tuna head under my chin (didn't want to loose it), and NOW I've got to frantically (sharks like that motion) paddle back throught my own chum slick :( :( .....WITH ONE HAND!......cause the other hand was pinching the hole shut....worked about as well as the lil boy with his finger in the dyke (no comments please ;) )........I got in with about 1.5 pounds of air left in my digny and because I didn't use enough weight on my bait......IT beat me in to shore :mad: ...needless to say I got skunked that eve.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts