Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
honestly ive never gone tarpon fishing before. like i said in the subject i am going tarpon fishing in islomarada keys and i dont really know of the technique of fishing for tarpon....any information at all will be helpful ;)

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
First-find schooling tarpon

Second-cast away from schooling fish,and hope you don't spook them.

Third-If you happen to get one to bite,Hang on to your pants,cause it gonna be a wild ride.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
Casted Away,I've caught fish near the bridges down there many times,my favorites are Long Key Bridge,and Channel two.. Anchor and put out live pinfish with small float. Pinfish are easily caught just find a good grassy bottom during the day with "hairhooks" and squid or shrimp,usually you can catch all ya want drifting these areas.. Or you can also drift channels near flats if you can get proper drift,where you can stay in deep water. Best bait,IMHO,for this is a crab.. The bait shops will try to sell you the bigger crabs but,buy the small permit crabs,tarpon love the things..Using a crab this way can also get you a huge permit,have caught em to 34lb this way.. ;)
I use a 13/0 mustad circle for livebaiting tarpon like this with 125 mono leader,or 80 flourocarbin.. Good luck, :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts