Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just a few questions to some of you smart fellers out there, I am new to fishing for rocks here in Va, used to redfish in Tx. so he goes

My primary fishing spots will prob be willoghby pier, york river, and lesner bridge. What am I looking for to catch nice fish. I'm not stingy, I have caught more than my share of 50" redfish,(I have caught 6 total) and 1 almost 60". So which tide is the best one to fish on? best baits for rocks? are the finger mullet still around, and if so how much longer? ar they worth the trouble to catch? Been using a cast net since i was 10 or so, i can throw my 7' with accuracy, and distance. I love to fish, and love to take my son (he's 5 and thinks it is just awesome) but I would like to catch them every now and then. You don't have to break it down real simple just some good starting points and maybe a few lessons..lol. Just pretty much the basics, what tides to fish, am i looking for underwater structure, back flows, deep moving water, stuff like that..

thanks guys

it was nice meeting some of ya'll sat night at the pier.

shore

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well you know what you want to see and thats good. I find Stripers are more of a lure fish. They will take live bait or freshing killed. I have very little luck with other baits. I would give you a suggestion that has helped me find a out of the way place. Find a recent Chart of the Lower Chesapeake(they probably need to be up dated) and a road map. Well I think you know what to look for. Ask permission first.
Stripers in general want Current to ambush thier dinner. So look for Rocks and pillings as they can hold fish.
As for which tide is best that varies by location and sometimes you have to fish it differently. Think outside of the Box.
Well I have to work tonight I will probably add some more tommorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new here too!

I look forward to reading, learning and then catchin' some fish with the things I learn!
BTW, I went to NAB Little Creek yesterday. Hooked a nice striper on a blue/silver Kastmaster. Nice fight, and then he spit out the dang thing! I said the "f" word more times after that, than I had in my whole darn life! Ha! Oh well! :mad:

I've read that it's smart to use the circle hook to prevent the loss of fish like what happened to me. Lures too? Spoons? Won't that reduce catches?

Trebor
Chesapeake, Va.
>->>'>

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, that answers some questions, if it is true that they are more of a lure fish, what would be some good lures, not much of a lure fisherman, but willing to learn how , esp if it helps me catch them more often..

thanks
shore

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where on nab? do you work there, or is it just closer? That is where I work at. lol...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Here's a post from the archives on favorite striper lures:

Top 5 Striper Lures

This was a 2 year old post. Recent additions include Storm Shad swimming lures in 4", 6" and even the 9". Don't forget your metals too. Stingsilvers, Hopkins or any metal with the prisms on the sides.

Really depends on where you fish and the size of the targeted fish. Schoolies will hit your 4-6" plugs (mirrolures, ratl traps, yo-zuri, etc.), the cows will tend to hit the larger bucktail or jigs closer to the bottom.

My suggestion to start would be to get to know one place and figure out what works and when it works. I've seen guys at the Lesner pull 30"+ bouncing jigs off the bottom one night then when the tides/winds changed, the same guys switched tactics and were hitting schoolies closer to the top half of the water column.
(My Goal: I want to be 'that' guy.)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Striper fishing in lesner is entirely different in my opinon then most other spots. Main reason is because of all the snags. I keep it cheap there using almost all plastics and jigheads. White head pink body works good. The storms are good but they dont cast far. Storms are more for boats in my opinion. If you have the money i use rockfish rockets with a single hook not trebles. Those things get it out real far and catch fish. My favorite l ure(havent tried at lesner) is a 1 oz white bucktail with a split tailed uncle josh pork rind. I normally just split it myself. If the stripers are in the upper water column i swear by a creek chub striper strike. That thing has distance and it works.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
OK a little time to add.
We have had some additions with a broad list of lures. I will add to it "big wood" these are used in the Oceansurf when they are off the coast and are more effective at night than the day you will be wearing wadders and lots of clothes to keep warm.
Places like the Lesner the fish are down and around the pilings so you will lose a few lures going for them. I like to cast up tide and let the lure be swept toward the bridge. I will probably let the weather cool to weed out the bait fishermen. One good thing to do here and any new places is to watch the guys catchen and follow what they are doing but rememeber the conditions as well (they probably drive the tactics).
More later.
Shorefisherman and Trebor ask any specfic questions you have?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts