Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
few questions...

what is the bait of choice?

do most of 'em get caught at the point or are the other ramps just as good...assuming there are nice 'holes'?

at the point...are the majority deadsticking or spiking the rods when fishing for cobes?

thanks for any info.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I ain't not expert, but this is what I do know. I fish at the point, usually on the hook. I use fresh bunkers and sometimes eels if I see lots of rays. And we're just deadsticking. Make sure to use the cobia sandspike. :D :p I haven't heard cobia caught anywhere else from the surf other than the point.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just to clarify....

deadsticking is when you're actually holding your rod after you've casted out...normally while your wading out...is that correct.

also thanks teo for your info.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
deadsticking

to me is putting on the sandspike. I only hold the rod if I fish at the point and there are like 100000000 other people there. Nothing much.. I just watch what everyone else is doing and I'm doing the same. The point is not what most people describe is to be. Most of the time it's kinda fun standing in that congo line. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Teo's got it down..

Sometimes they are caught near Hat inlet as well as the point,but the point and south of the point seem to be the hotspots right now.. As far as bait,JMHO in this order:

Menhaden,Mullet,Bluefish..

One thing that wasn't mentioned.. Always have at least three rods available,locked and loaded at all times.. One for spiking or deadsticking as Teo said,one that will sling a three oz bucktail pretty far,that is for a possible free swimming cobe. One that will throw a 1 or 2 oz stingsilver pretty far.. Today we saw bonitas right in the surf,but no one was locked and loaded,Cdog almost made it in time..:D Many times you will see spainish or bluefish as well...

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
There were never any truer words spoken...locked and loaded prevents regret

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Drumdum said:
Sometimes they are caught near Hat inlet as well as the point,but the point and south of the point seem to be the hotspots right now.. As far as bait,JMHO in this order:

Menhaden,Mullet,Bluefish..

One thing that wasn't mentioned.. Always have at least three rods available,locked and loaded at all times.. One for spiking or deadsticking as Teo said,one that will sling a three oz bucktail pretty far,that is for a possible free swimming cobe. One that will throw a 1 or 2 oz stingsilver pretty far.. Today we saw bonitas right in the surf,but no one was locked and loaded,Cdog almost made it in time..:D Many times you will see spainish or bluefish as well...

Running 300yrds th second time they surfaced almost killed me....:D

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
CrawFish said:
Then stop isolating yourself from everyone else. :p ;) :D I know you don't like the crowds, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :D ;) :)
Oh,this time he was there,and he got ta see first hand how crooked Rodwatcher and I CAN CAST!! :rolleyes: :D

Braid on baitrods may be frowned upon,but when it comes to throwing a lure,frowned on or not,it'll be braid... ;)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
CrawFish said:
Then stop isolating yourself from everyone else. :p ;) :D I know you don't like the crowds, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. :D ;) :)
Teo, it's just us he doesn't like being around :D or wait, it just might be me :( wish I had been there to see him run 300 yards :--|

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Drumdum said:
Braid on baitrods may be frowned upon,but when it comes to throwing a lure,frowned on or not,it'll be braid... ;)

gotcha kenny...thanks.

i may make a trip to the point this weekend...maybe i'll be able to see some of the p&s crew out there.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
DD, yeah it was real enlighting watching you two in action...:D

Shooter, after running 300 yrds I almost did :--|

R, I'd never seen bonita busting in the wash before,need to learn to cast 300yrds.:D

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Drumdum said:
Was gonna ask ya if'n ya wanted a cigarette when ya got back,but cut off a "little hunka slack" fer ya.... Ida hated ta seeya blowin grits,ya know?? ;) :D :p
Thanks DD, appreciate it...:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts