Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a question concerning fishing etiquette. Last week while fishing at the waterfront - I had another fisherman fishing beside me. We were talking while ours lines were in the water (small talk, y'all know how that goes --nothing serious.) Never got the guys name and it was my first time seeing him. He had a rod soaking in the water with cut bait and also had another one that he was throwing plastic with. While he was in the surf casting he had a hard hit on his bottom rod. I yelled out to him (HEY----YOU GOTTA HIT ON YOUR ROD) He was movinig back to the rod trying to grab it before he lost his fish, but by the time he got there the fish was gone. He said "man, why didn't you grab my rod for me" I told him that some people really get offended when someone touches their gear.

So that's where my question comes in, When it is acceptable to grab anothers rod? If I'm fishing with someone that I know then it is a given to grab their rod. If I'm fishing with someone new then it's a question that I don't know the answer to.

I've been in both situations before, Especially on a pier. someone has grabbed my rod (but I usually say hey buddy watch my rod while I gone) and if anything is caught off of it while I'm gone I usually tell him to keep the fish. (You hooked it--you can have it)

But I've also had perfect strangers grab my rod while I was standing right there and it kinda ticked me off.

Whats the rule on this????????

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Me personally, if I ask you to watch my rod, it pretty much means that since I am away for a tad, something will hit, and please try and hook the thing. If I don't ask, and I don't know you, leave my stuff alone. That's what I like about fishing with buddies, you don't ask, but if you get a knock, they are there for you. My brother and I don't ask, it's understood, but a stranger, not in my book. You want the fish, watch your rod, or let the person near you know that it's okay to touch, and hopefully hookem.

My two cents.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
You did the right thing. I only grab someone else's stuff if I know them or if they give me permission. I wouldn't want anybody touching my stuff either. A tourist grabbed my most expensive setup while I had my back turned earlier this season. Of course I caught him in time, grabbed my combo and explained if he did it again he would get tossed in the drink. Turned out, it was my first keeper striper of the season on the other end. Besides, you can't really plug and dunk at the same time.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yea i agree i dont touch anyones stuff that i dont know. I know that feeling though when someone has a hit or a run on there rod and you dont grab it, when me and bonito6t9 were at avalon pier this summer i was standin there doin nothin like usual and this guys rod had a BIG run on it and i looked at it and everyone down there uses' heavers for there anchor rods and the rod just so happened to be a heaver so i just left it and turns out when he ran over there and grabbed it it wasnt an anchor rod he had a fish finder with a live eel on it for cobes so then i just kinda felt guilty for the rest of the day. plus if memory serves me think it was the only run that day.:barf:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I would grab the rod if it was hitting really hard and was about to go into the water if it was someone who you didn't know. If the person is nowhere to be seen, then I would try to land the fish for that person, but if they can reach the rod, then it's up to that person to get their rod.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like I was pretty much on the right track. I see a lot of you agree with me on this.
Now in a situation like Anthony said, If the rod was pulled from the spike or was headed tip first over the pier then I would by all means grab the rod, but unless told to do so I will not touch anyones gear

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Now in a situation like Anthony said, If the rod was pulled from the spike or was headed tip first over the pier then I would by all means grab the rod, but unless told to do so I will not touch anyones gear
exactly

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I think you were right doing what you did .

Fishing Code of Conduct

We protect the environment of fish
We treat all fish with respect
We actively participate in the management of our fish
We respect the rights of others
Responsible Anglers Respect The Environment
As Ethical Anglers:
1. We do not spill or dump gasoline, oil or other pollutants on land or into the water.
2. When fishing we never leave trash behind, including worn or discarded line, old hooks and bait.
3. We leave our fishing site as clean or cleaner than we found it.
4. We report environmental damage and pollution to the relevant authorities.
5. When boating or anchoring, we take care to avoid damaging sensitive areas.
6. We do our best to prevent the spread of exotic plants and animals.
7. We never use as live bait fish that do not normally reside in the waters we are fishing, nor do we introduce exotic species that may survive and reproduce into
fishing waters.
Responsible Anglers Respect Fish And Handle Them Carefully
As Ethical Anglers:
8. We use only legal tackle, attend to our gear and value our catch.
9. We keep no more fish than needed for consumption and legally allowed and we never wastefully discard fish that are retained.
10. We practice conservation and use proper release methods for fish not retained.
11. We use tackle and techniques that avoid the capture of, or minimize the harm to unwanted fish or fish prohibited from retention.
12. We learn and comply with all angling regulations.
13. We report any illegal fishing activities we observe to the proper authorities.
Responsible Anglers Respect The Rights Of Others
As Ethical Anglers:
14. We treat other anglers, boaters and other people we might meet in the field with courtesy and respect.
15. We obtain permission from landowners and never trespass on private lands or waters.
16. We respect the space of other anglers when fishing from the shore or in a boat and give room to all anglers playing a fish.
Responsible Anglers Take Care Of Their Own Safety And The Safety Of Others When Fishing
As Ethical Anglers:
17. We observe all operator and safety regulations.
18. We watch our speed and our wash and keep a safe distance from shore based anglers, jetties and other boats.
Responsible Anglers Lead By Example
As Ethical Anglers:
19. We educate fellow anglers, especially new participants about fishing ethics.
20. We promote ethical behavior in the use of aquatic resources through education and example.
21. We maintain and promote public awareness and understanding of the issues surrounding responsible fishing.
22. We promote public awareness of the measures taken by anglers to conserve the resources and protect the environment.
THANK YOU to our Northern Brothers for their CODE OF CONDUCT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fisherman's Creed

I fish because it is fun. I fish because I enjoy the freedom I feel from being exposed to the elements, and the vulnerability to the danger that is intrinsic with nature's forces and the creatures she possess.
I do not fish because it is fashionable to do so. I use a rod & reel, not wear it. My rod & reel is not a symbol of status. It exists simply for me and me alone. My rod & reel are not toys. It is an extension of my being, and I will treat it accordingly, with the same respect as I have for myself, my sport and nature.
I strive to understand the intricacies of my sport, from the most basic to the most complex. I learn everything I can about my sport, so that I am reliant upon no one but myself for the successes and failures I experience. I strive to constantly better my skill of control over my rod & reel. I will learn it's limits, and use my skill to become one with my rod & reel so that we may keep each other alive should the need arise. I am the master, it is my servant. Working together in harmony, we will become an invincible team and will rejoice in our successes and learn from our failures.
I do not fear death. I will, however, do all possible to avoid death prematurely. Fear is the enemy, not death. Fear on the water leads to death, therefore I will not let fear be my master. I will master it. My rod, reel and sport will outlive me. Therefore, they are my legacy. I will care for them for future fishermen to cherish as I have cherished them, whoever they may be.
I do not fish to gain attention or respect from those that do not fish, nor do I wish to intimidate or annoy them or my fellow fishermen. For those that do not want know me, all I wish from them is to ignore me. For those that desire to know me, I will share with them the truth of myself, so that they might understand me and others like me.
I will show respect to other fishermen more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will learn from them all I can. However, if my respect is not acknowledged or appreciated then it shall end and they shall be cast aside. I will not show disrespect to other fishermen less experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I will teach them what I can. However, if they show me, my sport or my fellow fishermen disrespect they shall be discarded.
It will be my task to mentor new fishermen, that so desire, into the lifestyle and sport of fishing, so that the breed known as fishermen and fisherwomen shall continue. I shall instruct them, as I have been instructed by those before me. I shall preserve and honor the traditions of fishermen before, and will pass them on unaltered.
I will not judge other fishermen on their choice of rod, reel & tackle, their appearance, or their profession. I will judge them only on their conduct as fishermen.
I am proud of my accomplishments as a fisherman, though I will not flaunt them to others. If they ask, I will share them. I will stand ready to help any other fisherman that truly needs my help.
I will never ask another fisherman to do for me what I can do for myself.
I am a fisherman when and where-ever I go. I am proud to be a fisherman.
I fish to better understand myself, my sport, the lands in which I fish, and seek out and know other fishermen like me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Pier Rats' Code

As responsible anglers, we recognize that our actions should always be governed by what is right – ethically and legally – and we understand and agree that the best ways to accomplish our goals is through personal example and education.
We’re dedicated to preserving the pier rats’ environment in the following ways:
We will work to protect all species of fish. Fish that will be kept for food will be killed in a humane manner. Fish that are to be returned to the water will be handled with care in an attempt to assure their safe return to the water. All species of fish -- both sportfish and incidental species -- will be given the same respect and treatment. We will attempt to avoid the capture of unwanted or prohibited species.
We will work to improve the environments of the piers themselves as well as the waters around the piers. We will dispose of trash in trash containers, make sure there are no lines or discarded tackle on the pier, and clean up bait from the surface of piers as well as the railings. Where possible, we will assist in the removal of lines and tackle from pilings and pier structures. We will not throw pollutants (of any type) into the waters adjacent to the pier. We will always try to leave the pier as clean or cleaner than when we arrived.
As guardians of the pier environment, we will, to the best of our ability, try to reason with and correct anglers observed to be acting in a manner detrimental to that environment. We will, if necessary, report cases of abuse to the relevant authorities. Observations of illegal fishing methods will be reported to the Fish and Game Department (CalTip). Observations of destruction to the pier will be reported to local agencies.
We will encourage good fishing etiquette. We will learn and obey all fishing regulations. We will treat fellow anglers with courtesy and respect. We will endeavor to educate our fellow anglers in sound and safe angling methods and fishery conservation.

http://www.socalsinker.com/fishingetiquette.htm#DOs and DONTs

·
Registered
369 Posts
If I yell "hey ra rod" an he says grab it, I will... If I dont hear or say the words "watch my rod" Dont touch it.
Ya ever have a big fish on in the surf and have mr. helpfull try an grab your line?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Bottom line fer me is ya don't touch a rod that aint yours unless its ya best friend who is to drunk to catch a striper. ;) If somebody ask me to watch their rod than I will but unless its getting pulled into th drink if I don't know who's rod it is it will not be touched.

·
Registered
270 Posts
But here's a question... someone walks away for a head call and says "Watch my line". Big hit happens, you play and land the fish. Whose fish is it? My instinct is that it goes to the guy who landed it, but when it happened to me the other angler insisted that the fish was mine since it came in on my rod. Not that I wasn't grateful for the fish, but I didn't fee like I'd done anything to earn it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I feel since you baited and casted the rod and it is your rod in the first place, it's your fish. If you decide to give that fish to that person, then that's your choice.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
depends

offically it's your fish if it was caught off of your rod--However it all depends on the situation----If I'm on the planks just fishing for croakers or spots, 9 times outta 10 I'm gonna let the fellow who was watching my rod keep the fish. On the other hand If I've been soaking bait in the surf for 2 hours and that's my only catch well that's another story

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
If I land a fish on some elses rod it's his fish and I would offer it to him. If someone lands a fish on my rod it's still his fish but I would expect him to offer it to me. BTW, the only way I would touch someone elses rod is if they asked me to watch it or if it was in danger of going into the deep.

Catman.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Im with Anthony on that one. The way i see it if its your rod then its your fish unless you dont want it then give it away.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I have a very simple view of this. Unless he told you to watch the rod and walked away, you did the right thing.

You don't EVER, EVER touch another angler's gear when a fish strikes if he's nearby.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
You did the right thing.. When the planks down here used to catch a lot of fish,I used to cheerish those words: "Watch my rod,I'm goin to the pier house to get something to eat".... Caught two drum over 40lb,one king, and a tarpon 121(my best friend :D) because of those words.. :eek: BUT never ever grab someone else's rod without them saying to,unless it's going overboard! ;)

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Let him have the fish

I'd offer the fish to the guy just out of my appreciation. Or offer him or her a beer or a coke if they didn't want the fish.

But thats just me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts