Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there public access off of the Atlantic Ave bridge?

I was looking on Google earth, and there appears to be access to the South side of the bridge proper.

Has anyone fished/crabbed off there? If so is it any good?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
yes and yes, parking is a pain though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Garden city bridge

Thank you

Where is the parking?

Is there a fee?

What is the least crowded time?

Is there access 24/7?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Parking shouldn't be a problem for you. There is room for a couple of cars to the right before you cross the bridge and if that doesn't work then park at sarah J's restaurant (just don't eat there). The fees are a little dubious as you are out-of-state and will be using a cast net. Not likely you'll get "checked" or anything but if you want to play by the rules I'd look into it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
A guy called crabbindave on the bluecrab.info forums swears this is THE spot in the area for crabbing. I've had some mildly active days but caught a total of 1 keeper in the times I've been there. I've fished from the shore down there, also, but caught nothing. The fish are definitely there, though. Others were gettin' them and they were jumping all over. I couldn't cast as close to the grass as I wanted, though. Its a great spot for bait, though.

Another place on this same inlet that not many folks know about (not to spot burn) is the public pier. Its free and essentially, instead of turning on Atlantic Ave coming from MB, turn at the main intersection just before there (I think its called Pine Ave) across from the GC connector. Its down on the end of that road. Low tide's a bit of a waste, but at high there's a lot of potential for decent fish and tons of crab. There are steps down into the marsh area that you can handline for crabs from during high tide. Don't try stepping on the marsh at low tide without waders on, though. Very deep mud... lol.

We did get a decent amount of shrimp with a cast net off the end of the pier, though. So at the very least, its good for bait and blue crab so it wouldn't hurt to take a rod with you. Its a beautiful place, also.

-=The Prynce

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
A guy called crabbindave on the bluecrab.info forums swears this is THE spot in the area for crabbing. I've had some mildly active days but caught a total of 1 keeper in the times I've been there. I've fished from the shore down there, also, but caught nothing. The fish are definitely there, though. Others were gettin' them and they were jumping all over. I couldn't cast as close to the grass as I wanted, though. Its a great spot for bait, though.

Another place on this same inlet that not many folks know about (not to spot burn) is the public pier. Its free and essentially, instead of turning on Atlantic Ave coming from MB, turn at the main intersection just before there (I think its called Pine Ave) across from the GC connector. Its down on the end of that road. Low tide's a bit of a waste, but at high there's a lot of potential for decent fish and tons of crab. There are steps down into the marsh area that you can handline for crabs from during high tide. Don't try stepping on the marsh at low tide without waders on, though. Very deep mud... lol.

We did get a decent amount of shrimp with a cast net off the end of the pier, though. So at the very least, its good for bait and blue crab so it wouldn't hurt to take a rod with you. Its a beautiful place, also.

-=The Prynce
you mean veterans pier? or is their another public pier i have not known about?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
crabbindave must not have access to a boat, I have a few crab holes that are probably the best in the entire inlet, usually a limit ever time I put a trap down there.There is usually a month or two when the crabbing is good of the GC bridge, but not that often, there are a whole lot of under size crabs caught there, DNR would have a field day if they ever went there to "CHECK" people's catches.

·
Registered
73 Posts
crabbindave must not have access to a boat, I have a few crab holes that are probably the best in the entire inlet, usually a limit ever time I put a trap down there.There is usually a month or two when the crabbing is good of the GC bridge, but not that often, there are a whole lot of under size crabs caught there, DNR would have a field day if they ever went there to "CHECK" people's catches.
I think he has a boat, but on the forum on the other site, discussion was about crabbing spots without a boat.

Yeah all but one that I've caught down there were under limit. I've never seen anyone taking them under limit but I have no doubt they do. Unless I'm just picking a bad spot (which is also a possiblity), I just have no luck there. I normally go down to the shell beds with a hand line or a hoop net. My last time there was my slowest ever. Only like 3 crabs all together, the largest about 3 inches.

-=The Prynce

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Another place on this same inlet that not many folks know about (not to spot burn) is the public pier. Its free and essentially, instead of turning on Atlantic Ave coming from MB, turn at the main intersection just before there (I think its called Pine Ave) across from the GC connector. Its down on the end of that road.
Hey theprynce,

Thanks for that info. So now that's the second pier this week that I didn't know existed! Ha Ha Blue, I also Google-earthed it and see it.

How's the fishing off it? Is it deep enough there to hold fish?

Ya'll just keep talking, please!!! :D

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
logically anywhere at least 6 inches of water will hold decent sized fish, but you may have to cover lots of water. according to Donald Millus (i think thats his name) book, ppl used to wade anywhere you can access the marsh in murells inlet and cast lures for trout. as for my crabbing spots, you have to find me. i am the person you probably least suspected(14 years old, 5 foot 7.5 inches, Asian). and i fish in a variety of places.

·
Registered
73 Posts
logically anywhere at least 6 inches of water will hold decent sized fish, but you may have to cover lots of water. according to Donald Millus (i think thats his name) book, ppl used to wade anywhere you can access the marsh in murells inlet and cast lures for trout. as for my crabbing spots, you have to find me. i am the person you probably least suspected(14 years old, 5 foot 7.5 inches, Asian). and i fish in a variety of places.
I'll be keeping an eye out for you, then. If you see the 6'4" guy with long hair, a piercing, and a wrestling t-shirt, know I'm on to you. lol.

-=The Prynce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts