Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. I've done a temp relocation to the Philly area and can't conveniently make it to my normal "bay" fishing spots (PLO, Bushwood, Severn, Deale, et). I have a MD saltwater license and wish to fish the area north of the bay bridge, on the east side of the bay. Somewhere between Queenstown and Glasgow. Glasgow would be closer for me, but that is the northern part of the bay. I'm not sure if I would be catching fresh or saltwater fish there?...and I definitely don't want to be driving 30-40 miles to catch catfish. I prefer saltwater fish (croakers, white perch, blues, stripers, etc). I see...little towns on google map, but I don't to make road trips to them only to find out that the area that touches the water is someone's backyard and I don't have any access.

Also, if you were to suggest a license, which would you suggest?...NJ or DE? Trips through either state to the Delaware Bay or ocean look like they could be "painful"....long trips on backroads...lots of little towns and or cops that thrive off of tickets. Additionally, if you know anything about the license your suggesting and potential fishing spots? - I'd appreciate it. Tks.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
- We'll, Atlantic City is about 1 hr and 15 mins from downtown Philly and you don't need a fishing license. North of AC is Brigantine and has a nice beach. You don't have to worry about crowds because the next person fishing next to you is probably 100yds away. I'm pretty sure the blues are around and big stripers will be on the move. Maybe with some BW or BWFB, you may get into some kings/sea mullet/whiting. No backroads, just the AC expressway and you're golden. PM me if you want detailed info.

-Delaware will take over 2hrs to drive (CHSP, IRI, etc..) and you'll need a license.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For NJ saltwater all you need is a FIN Number which is free, even for out-of-staters. You can register online if you google NJ saltwater registration. Delaware licenses are relatively cheap for out of state I think its $20. I mostly fish Delaware saltwater, but will occasionally venture to Jersey. You are about equidistant from both, although Jersey has more coastline so some of the northern areas are likely farther. I personally enjoy fishing the Indian River Inlet and spend most of my time there. It is about 2 hours from Philly. The trip down Rt. 1 to get to the DE beaches is a highway, not a back road. As far as cops- can't say for NJ, but for DE watch out around Frederica, Dover, and the beach towns esp. Dewey and Bethany. (or just don't speed)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I would also suggest Atlantic city. One pretty well kept secret is that the jetties hold some decent tog! My favorite spot is the jetties near the Flagship hotel.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking AC, but just wasn't sure. When I go up there gambling I rarely see anyone fishing and it looks like it would be full of snags. I never really gave it a 2nd thought, but since you guys suggest it I will probably go for it. It seems to be 20-30 minutes less of a ride than some of the other places that I looked at and will probably be more productive. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Any suggestion on rod length and line test? Should I bring 15 footers and sandspikes?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I was thinking AC, but just wasn't sure. When I go up there gambling I rarely see anyone fishing and it looks like it would be full of snags. I never really gave it a 2nd thought, but since you guys suggest it I will probably go for it. It seems to be 20-30 minutes less of a ride than some of the other places that I looked at and will probably be more productive. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Any suggestion on rod length and line test? Should I bring 15 footers and sandspikes?
If you fishing the jetties I'm talking about I use a standard tog set-up. A 7ft rod reel spooled with 20lb braid. You can walk out on the jetties. There are about 10 of em that used to take all day to fish em.

As far as sand spikes; If you plan on dead sticking the rods...yep:rolleyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's your comfort level then go for it.

But I often wonder why do people need a 15 footer though.

The reason for the big rods are:
1) The "break down" size (3 piece 13 footers break down to be 10-18 inches shorter than 2 piece 10 or 12 footers). 13s are much more manageable, fit in the trunk, etc. If you have a 10 or 12 footer it ends up layed across your back seat and, nowadays, you gotta hope no one smashes your windown to get it.

2) The casting weight is normally (3-12oz). I have 10 footers, but it's rare that I find a spot in the ocean where I can fish with a 3 oz weight and a 3 oz chunk of cut bait. I usually use a 4oz...5oz of lead to hold down a piece of cut bait and a 2nd piece of bait on the "Hi - Lo" rig. My 7-10 foot rods are 2-3oz friendly, but might have a 10 footer that might handle 5oz.

3) I can make my "Hi-Lo" rigs longer...say 3.5 - 4 foot long....and safely cast them. By the time I put one of those rigs on a 10 footer with 10 inches between the rod tip and rig swivel...I'm trying to sling something that's half the length of the rod. I've been trying to make long rigs to keep the bait off of the bottom (crabs) and also to keep the hooks from getting tangled. My theory is aways to present a couple of different baits to the fish...even if I'm fishing with 3-5 rods (one will have a single hook for my monster dream fish - LOL).

4) Assembled, the taunt line trajectory of the 13 and 15 footers is sometimes above the "breaking" waves. Never with the smaller rods...the line is getting beat into the surf and the tip of the rod is always slamming/bowing down. I use homemade sand spikes that are about 3 foot long but the short rod's line usually heads directly into the waves.

I usually carry 1 or 2 smaller rods (7-10) for sight casting or catching smaller fish close in. They are rigged with 4/5000 series reels that hold about 230m of 20lb test. The big rods have reels that are size 6000 or larger. Loaded with 30-50lb test...300-500m of line. 9 out of 10 times the big ones have live bait. Sounds like overkill, but....

...I almost got spooled at Lynnhaven last year. 15' rod with a 5000 reel that I had just put 40lb Stren Mono (cheap at Walmart). Didn't realize how thick the green Stren was until I put it on. I was like "F" it....that's what I bought...little did I know that I would be regretting that move about 3 hours later. My buddy tossed it out with about 170m of line and 6" spot...half the line was gone w/the cast. That cheap Okuma 15 footer was bent like an ultralight and I was cupping the reel's spool to slow whatever it was down (w/well under half the spool left). The way the fish was moving I didn't want to gamble with the little bit of line I had on the setup. The Stren didn't give out, but that 5/0 hook returned to me with just the shank :-( When I got back home I wound that Stren off and used it for backing.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
...I use homemade sand spikes that are about 3 foot long but the short rod's line usually heads directly into the waves..
My sand spikes are 6' long metal fence posts I got from Home Depot and put a 2' section of PVC on the top section with SS straps. This increases your rod tip height which will stop the line from slapping on the water...

Sandcrab

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
My sand spikes are 6' long metal fence posts I got from Home Depot and put a 2' section of PVC on the top section with SS straps. This increases your rod tip height which will stop the line from slapping on the water...

Sandcrab
Thanks for the great tip and inexpensive.;)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The reason for the big rods are:
1) The "break down" size (3 piece 13 footers break down to be 10-18 inches shorter than 2 piece 10 or 12 footers). 13s are much more manageable, fit in the trunk, etc. If you have a 10 or 12 footer it ends up layed across your back seat and, nowadays, you gotta hope no one smashes your windown to get it.

2) The casting weight is normally (3-12oz). I have 10 footers, but it's rare that I find a spot in the ocean where I can fish with a 3 oz weight and a 3 oz chunk of cut bait. I usually use a 4oz...5oz of lead to hold down a piece of cut bait and a 2nd piece of bait on the "Hi - Lo" rig. My 7-10 foot rods are 2-3oz friendly, but might have a 10 footer that might handle 5oz.

3) I can make my "Hi-Lo" rigs longer...say 3.5 - 4 foot long....and safely cast them. By the time I put one of those rigs on a 10 footer with 10 inches between the rod tip and rig swivel...I'm trying to sling something that's half the length of the rod. I've been trying to make long rigs to keep the bait off of the bottom (crabs) and also to keep the hooks from getting tangled. My theory is aways to present a couple of different baits to the fish...even if I'm fishing with 3-5 rods (one will have a single hook for my monster dream fish - LOL).

4) Assembled, the taunt line trajectory of the 13 and 15 footers is sometimes above the "breaking" waves. Never with the smaller rods...the line is getting beat into the surf and the tip of the rod is always slamming/bowing down. I use homemade sand spikes that are about 3 foot long but the short rod's line usually heads directly into the waves.

I usually carry 1 or 2 smaller rods (7-10) for sight casting or catching smaller fish close in. They are rigged with 4/5000 series reels that hold about 230m of 20lb test. The big rods have reels that are size 6000 or larger. Loaded with 30-50lb test...300-500m of line. 9 out of 10 times the big ones have live bait. Sounds like overkill, but....

...I almost got spooled at Lynnhaven last year. 15' rod with a 5000 reel that I had just put 40lb Stren Mono (cheap at Walmart). Didn't realize how thick the green Stren was until I put it on. I was like "F" it....that's what I bought...little did I know that I would be regretting that move about 3 hours later. My buddy tossed it out with about 170m of line and 6" spot...half the line was gone w/the cast. That cheap Okuma 15 footer was bent like an ultralight and I was cupping the reel's spool to slow whatever it was down (w/well under half the spool left). The way the fish was moving I didn't want to gamble with the little bit of line I had on the setup. The Stren didn't give out, but that 5/0 hook returned to me with just the shank :-( When I got back home I wound that Stren off and used it for backing.
Great explanation.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Thanks for the great tip and inexpensive.;)
Nick,

No problem - When I put my 14' AFAW Big Beach conventional rod in one the tip of my my rod is up 20'! No line slapping on the water here...

Sandcrab

1 - 14 of 14 Posts