Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen some pics here of people catching fish at lake elkhorn and cenntenial lake. every time i go to these places i never catch anything. what kind of baits and lures areyou using catch fish there

·
Banned
215 Posts
best I had any luck with and believe me its not many times I caught, was Culprit Worms,6" Copperhead color, either conventional hookup or wacky. Caught a 3 1/2# at
Elkhorn, and maybe 10 small bass under or at 12", Cast by any tree, on sunnyside, let drop, wait 10-15 seconds, if they did not hit it going down, most likly they won't, but try moving it just about a foot each time, every two three seconds. No weight, just hook weight. If wacky , you need to flick it more on retrieve. Go to Days Cove, in Joppatown, you will get more action and its not far. Just off Rt40, take Joppa Farm Road. There is another post on this forum that gives directions. If you go there head to the Eastern most side, there is a bank that looks up at a canal looking water. The fish move there constantly in and out.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
i've seen some pics here of people catching fish at lake elkhorn and cenntenial lake. every time i go to these places i never catch anything. what kind of baits and lures areyou using catch fish there
The folks there are usually catching stocked trout. Use power bait or small night crawlers. I have had the most success by placing the split shot 12 inches above the hook. Power biat color will vary from day to day some come prepared.;)

There are some nice crappy in there too. Gotta get that cast out there above the "falls". A jighead and minnow combo will put them in your bucket.:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The folks there are usually catching stocked trout. Use power bait or small night crawlers. I have had the most success by placing the split shot 12 inches above the hook. Power biat color will vary from day to day some come prepared.;)

There are some nice crappy in there too. Gotta get that cast out there above the "falls". A jighead and minnow combo will put them in your bucket.:)

these arn't stocked fish. they are big bluegills , bass , and catfish, and i have also seen muskie caught

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to fish the columbia lakes a lot. this time of year the slow fished worms worked the best for bass. I did better in late spring and summer with mepps spinner baits. I did not fish the blue gills much but did very well when i did with dough balls from white bread. I am unaware of any muskie stocking in columbia lakes

·
Registered
73 Posts
centenial lake is a trophy bass management area. tiger muskie were stocked to eat the smaller bass, thus more food for bigger bass to grow. i have seen a few at centenial, most probably 2 feet long or so. dont know about elkhorn though. i have had decent luck at centenial in the evenings in summer. i dotn have a boat but walking the shore produces. Elkhorn has lots of small 8-12 inchers which are fun to catch, but the grass gets out of control there by june and is practically unfishable.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
mY BAD....

I thought you were talking about recently viewing fish being caught:cool::cool: A couple of folks I know through this board limited out on trout Saturday and Monday. I actually live near the lake (Elkorn) and fished it regularly in the past. I'll keep my yap shut .:):fishing::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Oh yeah............

The Columbia association is planning to dredge the lake. Get - em while you can

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Oh yeah............

The Columbia association is planning to dredge the lake. Get - em while you can
Thanks for that BR ... Are they planning on doing that prior to the next stocking? Better yet do you know when they plan to dredge?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for that BR ... Are they planning on doing that prior to the next stocking? Better yet do you know when they plan to dredge?
I'd like to know that as well...I fish Centennial all the time, especially in the spring. If they're smart they'll wait until the fall to do it in hopes of us having another dry summer. It definitely needs it, hopefully it'll get rid of a good portion of the lily pads...they're about to take the lake over. But I sure hope they don't screw up my spring crappie fishing.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Easy guys..................

I should have said Lake Elkhorn and Kittimiquandi are scheduled to be dredged this summer.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I'd like to know that as well...I fish Centennial all the time, especially in the spring. If they're smart they'll wait until the fall to do it in hopes of us having another dry summer. It definitely needs it, hopefully it'll get rid of a good portion of the lily pads...they're about to take the lake over. But I sure hope they don't screw up my spring crappie fishing.

I highly recommend Triadelphia Res for Spring Crappie fishing.
That and the lake out in Silver Spring...forget the name

·
Registered
90 Posts
I highly recommend Triadelphia Res for Spring Crappie fishing.
That and the lake out in Silver Spring...forget the name
I do like to fish Tridelphia it's just a pain for me to scoot around with my small trolling motor. I have found some good spots though that aren't too far of a haul. Crappie may not fight hard, but they sure taste good...and that's why it's the fish I go after the most.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I do like to fish Tridelphia it's just a pain for me to scoot around with my small trolling motor. I have found some good spots though that aren't too far of a haul. Crappie may not fight hard, but they sure taste good...and that's why it's the fish I go after the most.
I always fish from shore. You really do not need to haul a boat
up there for spring crappie. As you probably know they mostly
move near the shoreline rocky areas.;)

Crappie taste great. Do not forget about white perch though...
There is a Coast Guard base between Baltimore and Glen Burnie
MD called Curtis Bay that is loaded with big juicy white
perch. Catch or buy some grass shrimp and fish right
around the boat piers and cement walls. 30-60 fish
a trip is the norm for me. They start biting good
bout mid to late June.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hey Tap...

I always fish from shore. You really do not need to haul a boat
up there for spring crappie. As you probably know they mostly
move near the shoreline rocky areas.;)

Crappie taste great. Do not forget about white perch though...
There is a Coast Guard base between Baltimore and Glen Burnie
MD called Curtis Bay that is loaded with big juicy white
perch. Catch or buy some grass shrimp and fish right
around the boat piers and cement walls. 30-60 fish
a trip is the norm for me. They start biting good
bout mid to late June.
...is the public allowed to fish there, or do you need military ID?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm new to Columbia fishing. Would like to know more about crappie, bass, catfishing in this area. Tried Elkhorn and Centennial a couple times without much luck. I know there's a lot of crappie in Centennial but I can't ever seem to hook up. Also, I tried fishing Triadelphia once without anything but a 7" smallie. I have a canoe and can always rent a boat at Loch Raven.

If anyone can give me some advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me if you are more comfortable with that.

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.