Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!!
I'm new to the website and was wondering if I could borrow your expertise on fishing at SPSP. What's the best tide to fish? Has anyone ever used Nuclear worms? What rod and reel size is best? And what rigs are best to use? Thanks in advance for all your help. I hope to meet you all in my travels.

Cutbait34:) :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Cutbait34,

You could get away with a 9 or 10' rod, 15 to 20 lb test, medium action rod there. Use a hi/lo rig or drum rig with 3 to 5 oz depending on tide. High to outgoing tide has been my favorite there. As far as nuclear worms I am not impressed. You usually get less than a dozen worms b/c they usually go by weight. Try to find a baitshop with nice large bloodies. NOT Anglers! Don't forget to get some squid and if you catch fresh spot fillet em up in slices and chunk it out there. Oh and be ready to catch some rays so don't forget your muscles at home:D You'll need em;)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I remember some people posting a week or two ago about it when I posted about my large cownose ray caught a choptank. In fact I remember Sandcrab telling everyone about how he gets LARGE ones at spsp and some people chimmed in saying they caught a couple. Oh they are here reddog1. Saw many caught at the tank a few weeks ago. They should be in full force these next couple weeks! Get those muscles ready! I hope to get a few large ones in preparation for my summer shark tour at AI.:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have never caught a ray or a shark. I am very new to salt and everyday is an experience for me. Last week I caught an eel and I thought that was cool. A real loser :D :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Speaking of eels, if you want some real large ones...go to Ocean city inlet and fish with cutbait and you will kill them. My buddy mike caught one that was well over 5 ft long and about 2 in thick. And those aren't the nice ones that u get in the bait shop either. Very pissed off and ready to bite. But I do admit it was very cool:D

·
Registered
720 Posts
cutbait34,

My first trip to SPSP was last weekend and I think it's a nice place to fish. Depending on the time of day you plan to fish, the water can be choppy due to boats in the bay during the day as well as some large ships at night. Other than it's just weather dependent. As for the gear, I used a few 9' and a pair of 12' and caught more fish on the 9'. I did catch a few perch using my 6' freshwater rods so your luck may vary but I was told distance is the key there. You might want to stock up on the tackle just incase you snag and lose a few. During the trip I did snag and landed a ray and spoke to another person who said he landed 3 earlier in the day. I have a pic of it too but need a place to host it. And remember to bring lots of bug spray in case there's no wind if you're doing night fishing. We got ambushed when we first got there by the bugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info on SPSP. Anyone planning on going tonight? Weather permitting of course.
Cutbait34

·
Registered
720 Posts
reddog, I actually snagged it from like 10 ft from shore and it took off like a rocket. I had no clue what it was at first and it almost took the rod with it. I finally lowered the drag and let it run. When it finally came in, I saw the hook on one of its' wings. I have an interesting pic of what was a circle hook turned into a half a circle hook. Any ideas of where I can host pics so it will show up on the forums?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey reddog1,

You can usually get your hooks out of the rays if you have a partner with you and some needle nose pliers. Well unless they seriously swallow it deep. I wouldn't stick my hand in their mouth too far though cause it is like sandpaper so they can crush the crabs and such. The only real dangerous part is the small prong sticking out at the beginning of their tale:eek: Oh and getting tale whipped isn't fun either.:p

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice one! Hopefully will get pics of my ray and put it up here too!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks for posting the pic Sandcrab. I didn't think it was that big but it was fun to fish. From wing tip to wing tip it was probably in the mid 20's :D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
WW,

The problem with rays is just that - Getting them in! They are real bruisers and I really enjoy fishing for them at SPSP.

Got to hook a couple at the Tank on my last adventure fishing there. They took my line to "Jersey" and wrapped it around the concrete pilings. Lots of fun though!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Um........it's all great advise to our newcomer ...but don't forget the sandspike at SPSP this time of the year ..i personally witness many fisherman watch their rod swim away helplessly..Go get some baitrunner or make sure you set your drag loose if you have to go to bathroom or something....and buy something from kmart to begin with.... I have gotten my heart broken many times over the year fishing in Chesapeke bay....... and I ain't talk about no women.....:D

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Just switch over to convential reels, sit in your chair chillin' out, and wait for the clicker to go off!

·
Registered
720 Posts
BLUEFISH I try not to spend a lot on fishing rod or reels whenever possible. If I can get something put together for $50-70 I'm pretty happy. BTW, how does a baitrunner work on a spinning reel? I saw one at the store but the only difference compared to the normal one was that big lever/switch on the butt of the reel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts