Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I get on here and ask how the fishing is at a certain time I end up not being able to get up there. Anyway I am going to try and get up there around New Years.
Is it worth trying to fish at that time of the year(s)?
I would like to use my fly gear and would try to get into a boat.:fishing:
Thanks, and maybe I have not jinxed myself again:redface:

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I would think you would be able to catch a few specks then, but it's usually pretty much dead until March/April... I would think the trout would be your best bet but there may be something else swimming around. For trout, they'll hit flies, jigs (bucktails and plastics), live bait, Mirrolures, ect.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
you could wade around in the marsh(if you can find access) and try to fly fish for trout and red drum. reds remain active year round. usually warm days may produce some fish

·
Registered
831 Posts
There are always a few rocks in the waterway, from the rock pile to Little River Inlet. Choose high tide and fish the drop offs, if the river is clear, no turbidity, you should get a few. Try some lead head jigs and plastic tails. White with a red tail can be deadly. You might also use some plugs and or spinnerbaits. Trolling produces best but casting to the drains and ledges will work fine, mighty fine. As far a size of the catch, can be from 2 to 40 pounds, many many more small fish around, probably average above 5 to 10 pounds and up to twenty is not uncommon. You may find the trout, a spottail bass is just as likely to hit as a trout. If the weather is cold and wet and the water a clear black, i would bet you get a bite. Hold your bait over the side of the boat and drop it down to where you can't see it, clear is if you can see the bait 15 to 20 inches deep. I would identify the hot spots, but you got to do something yourself, or it won't be as much fun.:D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would listen to the kingfish, he is very old, and very wise, well, maybe not the wise part ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I am really pudshing to get that way. I loved the area when I was able to come over in late summer.
Kingfish I appreciate your help and I may shoot you a PM if I can get over there, I might need a few hints on a hot spot since I will not have time to search them out in a two or three day trip, and maybe just one of them on the water.
Thanks again guys:fishing:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts