Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The saying goes if you perservere you will overcome....

How long would you all give a fishing spot before giving up and trying different locations? Or before calling it quits all together.

I fished Sandbridge Sat noon during the incoming tides from 4-7pm and caught nothing. While there I had a chance to chat with a few of the locals fishing the same surf. One fella told me he's been at that spot fishing with cut mullet since 5am and caught a 17" striper. I did the math and came out with one small fish for 13 hours worth of fishing. I was thinking this guy must be nutz or he's just enjoying the beautiful weather.

On Sat I went to Sea Gull pier and fished 7-9pm and caught nothing. Saw one small skates caught the whole time I was there. Some of the locals there been fishing there for up to 15 hours and nothing to show for but a skate here and there. Are they nutz as well?

There's a fine line between perseverance and nuttiness...

Just my 2 cents...

GF
:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It really depends how much you love fishing. I know that me and FL Fisherman has a reputation for fishing days at a time. Of course we rarely stay at one place unless the fishing is really good. We will move around until we find a place that is productive. We will go back to a place if it has done well in the past. The only exception is AI as you usually need to wait it out before something happens, plus it takes a long time to set-up, so you don't want to leave unless you have to. I have fished 24 hours straight at one location before and got skunked. It's just how it goes, but it does allow you to truly appreciate the good trips.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It depends on what type of fishing you are doing.
If I am prospecting a Trout hole, 25 cast will tell the tale and out of there.
On the other hand, if I am fishing a big open beach I might hang around all day.
The important things are, have a good time and fish all you want and not more. When fishing becomes too much work, it aint worth it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In my experience it's not worth staying in one spot for too long. If I don't get any hits in 20 casts or so I move on to another spot or I start walking and plugging a stretch of beach. I might return to my initial fishing spot and try again an hour later. More than once this has saved me from coming home empty handed. Last Sunday is an example. I made less than 10 casts at a spot I know should hold a high concentration of stripers, but since I got no hits I moved on to another spot and got 2 keepers.

My fishing trips rarely last longer than 3 hours. I get bored very quickly.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
How long would you all give a fishing spot before giving up and trying different locations? Or before calling it quits all together.
Depends on my honey-do list. :) Which usually ends up in a honey-didn't list.

Depends on the type of fishing. If I'm soaking bait, maybe two hours or so but if I'm plugging, a good number of casts to a spot then move on.

Other factors may influence the time such as the company (good fishing folks makes fishing so much better even when they are not biting), weather, and the location. If I drove 2 hours to the Point, I'm not packing it in after an hour of nothing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The definition of INSANITY is:

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Just goes to prove that ALL fishermen are just a LITTLE bit nuts!

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Perservere and you shall be rewarded

What a brave new world this bullitin board has opened.

I have had the opprotunity to meet,fish and talk to alot of members from this board,whom helped me broaden my fishing Horizons.

I believe I have also made some good fishing friends from the result of this board.

But to get to my point,I have gathered upon these experiences,information and perspectives from the wealth of information on this board,and I know sometimes you gotta filter the "fish stories" from the God honest truth,but that's when becoming a good judge of character comes to play.
I believe the areas I have added to my list of honey holes I frequent can be attributed to the information gathered from this board,so yes,perserverance is deffinitely a choice I give myself.

If one hole is not producing you go to the next,if bottom fishing isn't producing,go to lure.If you want to share a new place discovered that is producing,PM or get up with a member.But giving up is never a choice for me,not anymore.When I was single and had all the time to fish,I can get persuaded to not want to fish,but being a new father,it is extremely difficult to find the time to juggle my fishing with my family time.

So,broaden your shore fishing experiences,look at a map,try some place different,come meet some of the board members at the next P&S outing.Trust me,you will deffinitely leave with something you may never heard or tried before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts