Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't.

Judging by the limited amout of posts after this weekend, it appears fishing was slow. I decided not to fish due to the coldfront. Any opionions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 2 cents

I always thought that those drastic changes in air temp and effectively pressure meant a certain increase in water turbulence.(Im not a meterologist so this is pure speculation) When the water is rather choppy and rough I find I catch alot more of everything, just my observation. So although it wasnt a very productive weekend I dont know that I'd factor the cold front in as my deciding factor. Again Im not a meteorologist so feel free to correct me. Actually just correct me, that way I'll learn.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fish both freshwater and saltwater. I have never done well after a coldfront during the summer. This has been more true for freshwater fishing. Now days, I don't even bother to fish after a coldfront and when possible reserve these miracles of nature for golf. Right before a coldfront, fishing is usually very good. I have fished right before a hurricane and that was extremely good but very foolish.

It appears folks in other states like Florida are more in-tune with barometeric pressures and moon phases. They seem to swear by it especially for snook. Folks in Virginia seem to be more dependent on the tide and wind patterns especially in the fall which are obviously very important. It may have to do with the fact that so many of our species are seasonal.

I have kept a journal describing all of these factors, but usually I clean too many fish to have time to get on the computer right away. I generally put in weather pattern for a week up to the fishing outing, wind direction, water temperature, tide, moon phase, and barometric pressure and of course the type of fish caught.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
My theory......

They pigged out on the falling barometer ;)

For me it means gearing down, lighter line, smaller baits, slower presentation, and knowing where the fish have been holding is a major plus. The "day" after th front, would prefer not to fish, but don't always have that choice.

But, it really comes down to......if you don't fish post front conditions, you'll never learn how to :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
rockfish

ive always heard could be caught with a blowing wind / choppy waters

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Well just got my free issue of Field and Stream and had a cool article regarding the lateral line on fish.All fish have them and act as little hairs that can detect movement and detect changes in water and atmospheric changes.

Don't know if this info helps with this thread or not.

·
Registered
291 Posts
yea I normally will fish after a cold front because well its fishing but i have never done well after one. I read something about like the barometic pressure affects some fish like stripers reds trout and flounder. It was in saltwater sportsman and pretty much says they dont bite as well when a front comes in. But on the other hand BEFORE a front comes in like a hour before i have done well with sharks.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've been fishing for a good many years and every time I think that I've read all the books and heard all the opinions I'm reminded that the fish don't read and they don't listen to people. They probably try to eat everyday just like we do. The very best way is to be out there and let the fish do the teaching. Every time I've stumbled into a good spot or method it was because I was out there experimenting. Most of the time it was a huge surprise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I usually do well fishing imediately before any type of drastic change in the weather. If I'm not mistaken this occurs as the barometric pressure is falling? I also tend to do better when the water is choppy as opposed to slick calm. Just my 10 cents and you can keep the change.
Tight lines and popped riggers

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
gotta couple of the puffer;S today too they tastd preeety gud to tiny lil blck bass to :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.