Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK boys, didn't get to fish with you down at OI but would like to here your lies, aah fishing reports! Was really hoping to work on casting together and see how the 8nbait thing was working for everyone. Hope your trip was great and keep me in the loop if you're heading down again soon! John.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fishing repoprt..

We arrived on Thursday morning, got 3 hrs. sleep and then started fishing. I believe that we were around the shipwreck and O.I. Larry B., Anthony and Ralph arrived later. Larry B. came out on the beach and fished. We were soaking bait at O.I. until 11p.m. and decided to go back to the house. We had seen 1 striper landed at 9 a.m., but that was it. Fifteen min. later, Mudd said a camera flash woke him up and the fishing had started. They were being landed up and down the beach. Mudd said he caught and released a 37" and a 42". A guy beside him had landed 4. Mudd said he called me on my cell, but it was turned off. So it goes!!! We left the house on Fri. morn. at 5a.m. and caught the ferry for Ocracoke. A good part of the water could be seen from the road, because the dunes were very low. We slayed the doggies and caught 1-25" pup, wading a bar down at the far left end. We then fished the northern end of Ocracoke, only to not get any fish. One by one we left and headed for the ferry. Stopped at Jimmy's and got the tip on my 2/1 glued back on. Stopped at FRG and got a 125-Icey Tek. On the ferry an older gentlemen told us that all of our tires were really low and should find the nearest gas station and get them pumped up. He also told us about the huge number of boats, that were along P.I. We weren't to sure, because he told us to get our tires pumped up. Later we really found out what we had missed. Stories of guys catching and releasing 20 fish and fish swimming around them while they were fishing. We fished O.I. until 3-4a.m. and left for P.I. Found Larry B. stuck in the sand on the way out off of O.I., at 4a.m., and pulled him out. Started fishing at sunrise on Sat. morning, after 2 hrs. sleep in the truck. We fished Northern Rodanthe and Larry B. got 2 on metal. My brother got a short one and kept it. One hr. later a Fed checked my cooler and it cost me $125. Very short of the $350 and appearing in court that he was originally talking about. Oh Well!!! Rodanthe beach was a mess. That sand was really soft. I still cannot believe the number of guys that we saw, that were on the sand stuck, that were letting air out of their tires. Stopped at Ryan's and picked up my Zzippy that had been there getting wrapped. We then headed to O.I. around the afternoon when I stopped and saw Big El, Loo-g, VA-APPRAISER and later Greenlights pulled in and others that I knew. We were getting set-up for the evening. Around sunset the fishing started. Our group got 5, with Larry B. getting 2 for himself. We were fishing on the right side of Big El. Anthony and Ralph could not buy a fish. Greenlights landed a 40lb and a guy on Ralph/Anthony's left landed a 42lbr. We fished til 11p.m. We tried to get up for sunrise, but could not make it. Cleaned the house and headed to P.I. and ended up at Coquina. We talked to a truck/camper that fished O.I. the previous evening and he said that they caught fish until 3a.m. I don't know how many fish they caught. But it must have been a bunch. We were going to leave and I said that the water looked really sparkly. And it was really full of peanut bunker. We were throwing metal and hooking the bait, on a single hook. No fish. Left at noon. I met several guys that were going home with a boat and they said that the boats were heavy off of Avon. Got home around 9:30p.m. I am planning on going back down in several weeks and am trying to get some of the remedial group to go back. Hey John, when are you going back down? I believe that the fishing is going to continue to be good. The water was in the high 40's and the water was full of bait. :) pelican man.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the update Larry.....

.....and really glad you boys got into some nice fish! I had just left Big El when you guys pulled in so it looks like I missed some fish again.

Finally getting a little work in for me to do but also looking to go down in the next two weeks for a few days. Will keep an eye on the weather. QUESTION: If I can cast just over 110yards, can I be an active member of the remedial group? That is, if the membership fees aren't toooooo high!

Will post up on the Red Dog board when I think I can get back down.....not much "fishing reports" allowed on this board. After this trip and casting 6oz jigs to snag sharks at the Point, I realize how important it is to stay in shape....back on my Bow-Flex so I can try and catch you boys in distance. Take care and hope we can fish together soon! John.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are welcome...

to be in the remedial group...if you take us drum fishing in the spring!!! 110 yds...Yeh right!!! I need a new coat for wading. I got one 2 trips ago at RDT; the red Henri Lloyd w/yellow hood, like Dan from RDT wears but, I am not completely happy with it when I am standing in water. I believe that it is good for repelling water, but not immersing the coat in it. How do you like yours and would you get another one if you were in the market? Does your coat keep you warm? Yours is one that has flotation built in? Does it actually hold you up, if you pick up your feet? After we left Ocracoke, we fished the point. My goodness, there was nothing out there but doggies. Every cast. Do you happen to have a good recipe for doggies?:) pelican man.

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Nomination...

Aero, did you see the guys' truck? just based on that deisel, Va [sandbagger], has got my nomination for induction into the Remdial Group.

as for roy, he is trying to clean up Pete Roses's image. so there is no telling when he will be available. but it is rummored the hall's induction committee will induct Pete into the Hall of Fame if he agrees that his bust will be placed between O.J. and L.T.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LET"S CATCH SOME FISH.....

.....and see who's who on the beach casting department. I'm sure to learn some more from all of yall.

Larry, the Mustang Survival Floatation coat is the ONLY coat I use during the fall, winter and spring seasons. It does float if you wade out too far and will save your life; seriously! It does not impede your casting technique at all and is very comfortable. It keep the wind and water out. I'll let you try on mine if we can hookup at the beach soon. It cost about $150 but is well worth it and very durable....I've had mine now for 5 years and no tear, wear or problems. Has many pocket with velcro to hold extra lures or weights. BTW, Dan at RDT also purchased one to my knowledge and uses it mostly on his small boat.

I can usually go fishin most anytime I chose; lucky for me. Do you primarily fish the weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) or can you pick when? Let's try and get a date down. Weather doesn't seem to really affect the fishing much here lately unless it's a serious blow.

John.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My wife...

has been pretty lenient about me going fishing. Are you looking at next week? Week/weekend; doesn't matter? Pick one and then I will then ask my wife. My wife wants to go at the end of the month. Remember last Jan. she caught a 38" striper at Ocracoke along with a 32" drum. Me, I caught a pup.:) pelican man.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Larry,
Sounds like you guys had fun. How far out would you say you had to cast to get fish and how much weight were you using?

Seabass

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
See I told Jason that we should have went to NC. We could have finally done our original challenge. Glad to see that you guys had some fun down there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
stay tuned..

anthony, it looks like there is another trip in the works, i think. i may not be available to go but don't let that stop you and/or jason from going down with these guys. they' re all good guys and exceptional fisherman. hope all is well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Larry, towards the end of the week.....

....next week looks OK for now. If you want to try for a Fri/Sat/Sun time period, that's OK with me. I've got a friend down in Avon who can get some bunker for me/you if needed. It can be slim at times. Also, I can call Nick at TW's to see what he may have. I just picked up some nice 3 to 6oz jigs from GreenTop's to give a try. If the misses gives a heads up, let me know and I've got several other friends that would love to join the group.

I've got work til Wednesday next week at the moment, so will try to leave the end of the week and weekend open til I hear back from you! Chow, John.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey John...

I will ask my wife tonight. Calling all remedial group members; don't
put your fishing gear away just yet. Ralph, can't you go at the end of the month? Aero993 and I were counting on you. I just talked with Frisco R&G, and they said that about 60 stripers were landed at the point this morning.:) pelican man.

·
Registered
797 Posts
can't promise...

p-man, the end of the month is definitely better than next week for me but i can not commit right now. i will promise to try [hate to miss a shot at a lunker bass]. i will try and let you know as soon as i know.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Simms

Larry, try Simms's website. it makes a good wading jacket. i think its called "the Guide".

·
Registered
681 Posts
SeaBass

People were catching fish like crazy. We arrived at the end of the blitz. I saw old women pulling fish in. I would say that most were out between 300 - 400 feet. Some were out less than that. It's not always distance. Having the right tools (lures) for the job is what was needed. Now Larry B (700 feet plus caster) was using his A game gear for long distances. Not exactly sure, how far out he was casting. He landed two nice stripers.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey VA-APPRAISER.............

I got the okay!!! I usually like to leave on a Thursdayaround 5-6p.m.; (8hr. drive) and arrive in Buxton in the early morning. Get a few hrs. sleep and start fishing. Then leave on Sunday by lunchtime.
I made a few phone calls, but it looks like I am coming down by myself. The Leaders of the Remedial Group, called for a siesta for fishing. Maybe Valentine's weekend? I guess they are still catching up on their sleep!!!!! How often do you sleep in your truck? :) pelican man.
Hey Aero993, Remember the guy that was riding with us. He caught a striper that Sat. eve. using a 10' UGLY stick and throwing 8oz.'s. Down at Ocracoke, he was the guy who got a 25" pup on a 6' boat rod, and was using frozen mackerel for bait that he had brought with him. For sure he was not throwing very far either time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jacket and fishing comments Larry....

First, I got the Bomber Classic jacket ( 1st one on the web page you linked). It has a removable hood that I use only when its raining cats & dogs but works quite well. I don't like the hoods that are built-in because they create such a bulge at the neck. An A-1 coat that you won't be disappointed in.

Sorry the others won't give it a go but understand when you're coming from as far north as you guys; it's only 3 hours for me! Will also verify with the Mrs. to be sure nothing is in the pipeline. I'll also leave Thurs evening or very early Friday so I can fish at sunrise. I usually sleep in the Jeep but don't mind splitting a room. Will post back up to give a thumbs-up from here.

Now, let's just hope the winds stay below 20! John.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts