Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here make their own fishfinder rigs or do you buy them premade? I have been making my own for some time, and was just courious as to who else made their own, and if they know where i can get some 3way swivels, it seems wally world and most of the places up here in newport news don't carry them..

thanks

shore

·
Registered
337 Posts
I too only make my own, but I make them differently than it seems you do. I generally will buy the plastic clips, 30c a peice, or just slip the line through the eye of the swivel, then on the end tie another swivel to it, clip the weight onto the sliding one and the heavier snell/hook on the fixed swivel. Make the snell about 8 inches for ease of cast. A very helpful p&s er showed me that one (thanks Digger). Hope this helps shore...

Todd

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet, I never thought of doing it that way, most of the time I have been using the round weights but that option would allow you to change the weight size. nice, I like that one.. will have to give it a try.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I make almost ALL of my rigs my self. specially fish finder there too easy just snell a hook and tie the other end to a swivel and your set for when you hit the pier or surf. Throw a sinker slide on your line with a bead or 2 and tie your line to the swivel slap some bait on there and let her fly!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
When I make my fish finder rigs I put a bead followed by a snap swivel an then tie on a barrel swivel. I then attach a snelled hook around 3" to th barrel swivel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was in Wilcox night before last and I thought I saw three-way swivels. You may want to give them a call. :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Make your own...

...And use the least amount of hardware possible...

Here's one using a Frog sinker...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Stay away from those plastic slides especially if you are throwing in a crowd. Those plastic slides will just rip off when you add 8 and some torque to your cast. Heck, I've ripped them at 4 and moderate casts.

Check out Hatteras Outfitter's pic of a drum fishfinder rig. I add a bead between the swivel snap and the swivel to prevent any rub on the knot.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, something else i have noticed, does everyone here use the circle hooks when bottom fishing or is that just the illustrations?

I have been using mustad hooks, with pre attatched steel leaders . preferably use these because of those nasty ole' blues..
lol

shore

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Shore, I use circle hooks only now. I started using them 2 yrs ago I think an this yr spring I guthooked one croaker an in Aug I gut hooked a small flounder. Other than that no gut hooks an no having to do th Bill Dance hook set.Th other good thing is with blues they usally hook themselves in th bottom lip which means less cut offs. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts