Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this area has a lot of big sharks('7 plus) first is this true? And can I get to fishermans island via the CBBT? Other wise how far of a paddle is it from the main land?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes, this is true. There are sharks over there that when they swirl it looks like someone tossed a voltswagon in the water. You can put in at Kiptopeke and its probably a 3-4.5 mil paddle w/o looking at my GPS. You definatley don't want to get out of your boat over there in the summer. Please report back how that goes in your yak. Good luck hunting sharks, or being the hunted.... Maybe one our local board members like blake that grew up in that area will chime in and be able to give you some better info.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The ES is really really big. I recommend a guide for first timers in the backcountry. Now if your gonna yak around do not go alone, and if you plan on fishin in front of the islands remember you are no longer in the bay your in the ocean where there are most postively WAVES. Yes their is man eaters over there, to me that would be a non targeted species ( Im a Red drum psyco). Most of the yakers I know take the ramp at wise creek and paddle through the ditch to shorten their trip up considerably to the backside of the islands and paddle around out front when the swells allow them too. What you must realize is that when behind the islands its mostly oyster beds and not sand bars and this gets alot of people in trouble. Hence hiring a guide I would highly recommend till you learn the area. This place can hand it to you pretty quick. I suggest a chart of the seaside and a GPS for someone that does not have atleast some knowledge of what their gettin theirselves into. Have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I second what blakester said. It can get VERY TREACHEROUS out there. The waves and sand bars will hand you your ars pretty quick. It's about a 4-5 mile paddle out to the tidal drainage pool on the South side of Fisherman's Island (Big Drum & Sharks). ~NOTE~ It's illegal to step foot on Fisherman's Island. The tide really rips out there. In a matter of one hour, the flood can come up several feet and catch you off guard. Take a GPS and mark way-points in case of bad weather or fog.

My buddy lost his paddle in heavy current and 4 foot breakers out there last year. If I didn't have a spare paddle in my yak I would have had to tow him the 4 miles back to launch. Oh, carry a hand held VHF & flare gun as well.

Good luck!! :D

Skunk

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Did a canoe trip form Watchapregue to dolphin shoal a few years ago. Getting out of the inlet and back in was well hairball, even for my buddy who has 30+ years whitewater experience. Lot's of water moving in and out of small inlets over there. Be careful.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The ES is really really big. I recommend a guide for first timers in the backcountry. Now if your gonna yak around do not go alone, and if you plan on fishin in front of the islands remember you are no longer in the bay your in the ocean where there are most postively WAVES. Yes their is man eaters over there, to me that would be a non targeted species ( Im a Red drum psyco). Most of the yakers I know take the ramp at wise creek and paddle through the ditch to shorten their trip up considerably to the backside of the islands and paddle around out front when the swells allow them too. What you must realize is that when behind the islands its mostly oyster beds and not sand bars and this gets alot of people in trouble. Hence hiring a guide I would highly recommend till you learn the area. This place can hand it to you pretty quick. I suggest a chart of the seaside and a GPS for someone that does not have atleast some knowledge of what their gettin theirselves into. Have fun and be safe.
Wise Creek ramp?
Is that the one on the Magothy cut?
Is it open for the public?

·
Banned
2,808 Posts
Eastern shore

I think you are howling at the moon. Those shoals are no joke. I have taken some monster waves over my bow looking around that place. I have however found where the Tarpon live and some killer Drum fishing that People don't talk much about. All my fishing from the end of April till the end of October will be the barrier Island shoals and Inlets.That is what my boat is made for,18 inch draft 21 inch jack plate and can blow thru breakers that will make you crap your pants.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Taking Monster Waves over the Bow

I think you are howling at the moon. Those shoals are no joke. I have taken some monster waves over my bow looking around that place. I have however found where the Tarpon live and some killer Drum fishing that People don't talk much about. All my fishing from the end of April till the end of October will be the barrier Island shoals and Inlets.That is what my boat is made for,18 inch draft 21 inch jack plate and can blow thru breakers that will make you crap your pants.
Well sounds like they saw you coming at the boat dealership and got you set up right.

·
Banned
2,808 Posts
05 grand slam

I think you should look before you leap. To say something like that shows you are either ignorant or just plain rude or both. I have crossed those shoals in conditions that I am sure a lot of boats would have been swamped in. Follow me across the shoals one time in your boat then see how much trash you talk.Be sure to wear your life jacket. Good luck catching your first citation drum. My 5 year old is looking to catch one this year also.

·
Banned
2,808 Posts
O5grand slam

Sorry. I did not mean to direct that to you...It is for the other out sick guy that posted above you. On another note, Blake nice Trout. You do know how to catch those things. I would like to fish the shoals with you If you think we can share a boat.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Let me be the first to admit a catastrophic mistake NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER GO ON THE WATER WITHOUT ATLEAST TWO COMPASSES, everything looks the same over there, and its a 5 foot tidal surge over there not 3 like on this side of the water.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Easy Buddy

I think you should look before you leap. To say something like that shows you are either ignorant or just plain rude or both. I have crossed those shoals in conditions that I am sure a lot of boats would have been swamped in. Follow me across the shoals one time in your boat then see how much trash you talk.Be sure to wear your life jacket. Good luck catching your first citation drum. My 5 year old is looking to catch one this year also.
I think you took that the wrong way there SR. Not even sure why your all rouled up really. Anyway, all these years youre been in CA, I've been over there, I do have a boat. Definately not my first Drum.... Didn't mean to hurt your feelings but you can try to follow me one day if you like, but you might get em hurt again. Sounds like your carefull over there or learning the hard way. I've seen your boat and if your taking waves over the bow in that, you probably didn't have any business being out there. I can't remember the last time I took a wave. I flutter my throttle and keep my bow up high and keep a weather eye on the horizon arrgh and never have a problem. Anyway, I'm sure I'll see you over there this spring. Be carefull and good luck with the 5 year old.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Use the Wise Point Nothampton County ramp. The launch is free and the parking is free. Take the first right off the CBBT and turn right again into the USF&W preserve. Just follow the road until you see the kayak ramp. If you go farther you'll need $$$ to launch. The park closes at dark and the rangers ARE NOT friendly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.